What's new

How do you timbre match front and center channel speakers? (1 Viewer)

Wallis

Agent
I know that the general rule is to timbre match the front and center channel speakers. Obviously, the easiest way to do this is to match speaker brands and lines. However, if I want to mix and match speaker brands, how would I go about timbre matching? Do I need to do this qualitatively by listening to the speakers together to see how they blend? Can I instead look at certain measurable physical characteristics of the speakers to determine whether they are timbre-matched? I would love to be able to do the latter--it is a lot easier to search online for matching technical specifications than to lug about 15 different speakers home for tryouts.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Matching specs will definitely not ensure a tonal match. You are better of matching lines/brands like you said. If you can do it, three identical speakers across the front is optimal. If you have some speakers you need to match tonally, maybe a nice dealer would let you bring them to the store and find a match that way, albeit a pain in the ass. Tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Bingo.

I have found, for example, an NHT M5 center works far better with Axiom M2is than the dedicated Axiom center.

Wallis

Agent
Thanks. James, I was planning to go with modified BIC America speakers all around. Earlier this week, I found out that the previous owners had left their Triad center channel speaker in the crown molding when they moved out. This means that I can (1) get four matching Triads, which will cost a lot more than I want to spend, (2) try to find another set of less expensive speakers that will blend with the Triad, or (3) take out the Triad center channel and install all five of the BIC America speakers. Unfortunately, the space in the crown molding where the center channel will sit is fairly small; if I go with the BIC America speakers, I will have to spend several hundred dollars getting the space built out. In the abstract, I'd rather spend my money on speakers than carpentry work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks