How do you think Xbox live will survive when...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willy burz, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

1. Less than 1/2 of households have broadband, or even access.

2. On top of that, of that Number how many people actually have an xbox?

3. Even more pressing, after taking into account the first two numbers... Not every person who owns an xbox will take it online to play.

4. Those are low numbers, and with those low numbers how are they possible going to make any money? I mean I'm down with online gaming, but with a console it's different... There is a computer in everybody's home now days, but not an xbox.

I think that's why Sony and Tendo are a little hesitant, and since Xbox's latest numbers are a million behind the Cube and millions behind the ps2, you have to wonder... is this Microsofts make or break decision?!

What does everybody think? If it's successful more power to you, but I don't think it's going to go over well.

Discuss.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Willy,

Microsoft, no doubt has taken all of your points into consideration when they decided to create the Xbox and Xbox live.

What you need to understand about Xbox Live is that this is Microsoft's way of building a foundation for the future. Much in the way the Xbox is just a "foot in the door" console system.

By the year 2005-2006 the number of broadband users will have grown exponentially. Thats the userbase that MS wants to capture. Xbox Live is a way to build that userbase early and get the "name" out there for future broadband users. Microsoft seems to be willing to spend 2 billion to do that.

Microsoft faces stiff competition from Sony in the online arena. Sony's gigantic userbase alone guarentees a level of success, not too mention the enormous third party support. Then you have Nintendo, which at this point is an utter non-factor in the online game.

Will Xbox Live succeed? I dont know and to be honest its not my concern. Thats for Microsoft to worry about. For me, I already have my PS2 Network Adapter on preorder and I'll be doing the same with the Xbox Communicator/Live package. As long as there is compelling software to play online for both machines then I'll be a happy gamer.

3. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

It will be interesting.

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

MS can still hae a really really compelling online experience even with these barriers. If it manages to get about 1 million or more people w/ Xbox live, that's going to get pretty interesting. I think they can do it - I especially see this as a great idea for a 'bundle'. I thnk they'l end up selling far more than 1 million subs to xbox live - it will be interesting though.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

They make home theater equipment that costs thousands of dollars per piece, yet people still buy it.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

7. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

>>1. Less than 1/2 of households have broadband, or even access.

>>2. On top of that, of that Number how many people actually have an xbox?

>>3. Even more pressing, after taking into account the first two numbers... Not every person who owns an xbox will take it online to play.

I would think the focus would be on how many XBOX owners have broadband instead of the total numbers of broadband users.

Lot os variables here. Maybe more XBOX users will get broadband because of online gaming? Or maybe more broadband users will get XBOX for the online gaming?

Who knows but broadband certainly seems to be the way of the future but how long will Microsoft put up the cash to keep XBOX and XBOX live goine while losing money?

Glenn

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'd contest the notion that less than half of the households have access to broadband. Most areas now have either a cable or DSL provider, and the technology has really penetrated. Maybe it's different in the US, but here broadband has become almost standard.

I think the biggest question is whether people are going to be willing to pay for Online gaming. They can play online PC games for free-why not Xbox?

9. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

hell my mom has broadband for cris'sake!?
    i'll tell u what is attractive to me is sitting on my couch with a big screen and shooting the crap outta people,in 5.1 and not being pressed up too a screen. and being a mac head games are a little limited in this section of the world.
    for 50$ i'm in.but if it gets more expensive to be online, games will be the deciding factor, but after seeing those screens of halo2....

10. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I don't really care how many total people sign up for Xbox live, as long as its a few hundred thousand, there will be plenty to play with. I'd much rather have a small, centralized service that is well run, as opposed to the full scale chaos that is going to occur with the PS2 online plans. It doesn't really bother me that some people won't be able to sign up for Live because they don't have broadband, playing console games online at 56K will be terrible considering it barely worked with the DC.

Although I have a PS2, I'm going to pass on their online plans for now, and probably forever, unless it so happens that everything does actually work well.

11. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

While the network adapter is an add-on, I think most people would rather pay $40 once and get the adapter and Twisted Metal: Black Online than pay $50 a year and get a game, the communicator, and the XBL service. Considering the fact that XBL requires an annual fee just to play games online AT ALL could hurt it. With the PS2, $40 allows you to play games online without additional fees unless the developer asks for it for their servers (and few games will actually have servers made for them).

13. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

While I am currently playing XBOX games online right now free of charge (via XBCONNECT) I have no problem paying for a superior gaming service. Like it or not that is how it is being marketed and I am willing to pay for a better "gaming experience". The amount of money that many people on this site (including myself) spend on equipment and/or DVDs makes $10 per month look rather insignificant. If I get a better game or if I perceive that I am getting a better gaming experience then I am happy.
    As Romier noted above as long as I have fun I am happy. If XBOX Live is a failure I can always return to XBCONNECT.
    Chris [​IMG]

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You can only use the XBCONNECT (or any other tunnelware) for games that use the system link. Some games will only allow you to play online using XBL, so if Halo 2 only supports online play and doesn't support the system link (even though I highly doubt it) you can only play with multiple people online using XBL.

15. Theron Shaffer

The dreamcast era proved to me that 56k gaming was possible....but not necessarily enjoyable for many games. I applaud the broadband only strategy. While the numbers may be fewer, the experience will be much, much better.

As far as the add-on (PS2 adapter), it may well succeed....but I wouldnt count on it. In the history of video games, add-on's have nearly always failed to gain support. It divides your market. Huge mistake I feel on Sony's part to not follow the Dreamcast and include the modem. Time will tell.

I also think 50 dollars for a year of broadband gaming which includes the voice communicator headset just isnt too bad. The voice communication has a change to be the biggest thing to hit the online gaming scene in a long while.

Just my two cents.

16. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I still hold the opinion that the Xbox's $50 headset communicator-- even if it includes a year of Xbox Live service -- is little different than PS2's $40 network adapter. Both add up to an "add-on."

It would be different if the PS2 Online service wasn't free, but for the moment, it is. So you have to spend half-a-hundred to get online with either console.

That said, I've already pre-ordered my hardware and am looking forward to going online with both consoles.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

It really doesn't matter if it succeeds or not. This is Microsoft. They got so much money that they can look at xbox version 1 and just ignore it if it eventually fails and concentrate on version 2 and 3. Its what they do best. Anyone know how much of Microsoft's income is coming from Xbox? Sony has most of theirs from the PS2 which I found to be extremely interesting considering everything else they do.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

20. James St

James St Supporting Actor