How do you tell if the game is in 108i or HD?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dustin Wind, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

How do you tell if a game is in 108i or HD besides reading here hehe?
    Does it say somewhere in the menu or....

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Well, if you you have a PS2 or GameCube, you don't have to worry about it. Only the Xbox is capable of producing games with a 1080i resolution. I'm quite certain that the back of the game will indicate if it can do 1080i (or the more common 720p resolution).

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

The PS is 1080i capable but I don't know if it's been used in any games. Sled Storm was supposed to have it, but I don't know if it made it into the final version.

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

The original ps2 is only capable of doing 480p in some kind of software emulation mode, as I recall. Wasn't tekken 4 the first game to have that?

5. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, i have a x-box.

Does it actually say anywhere when i power up the x-box?
    Or only on the back of the game?

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hey Dustin

As far as I know the Xbox doesn't specifically indicate the game's resolution. The info box on the back of the game package has info re: display formats and sound but it's not always accurate. Your best bet is to refer to the ongoing HD Survey Thread located here.

7. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

Also, you don't have to worry about HD if you are not using the {edit}High Def {edit} AV pack. The settings in the dashboard for video will not give you the option of selecting 480p, 720p or 1080i if it is not connected with the HD-AV pack.

If you are using it, just select the formats you want the xbox to output and you'll be set. (Assuming you have a HD ready TV).

As for what games support it: That's a mixed bag. There are lots of games that are 480p and the box does not indicate it. As for 1080i, only 3 games are out now that support it: Dragon's Lair 3D, Syberia and Enter the Matrix. I believe all of these games indicate HDTV 1080i on the packaging.

Good luck.

8. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

9. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

Edited my post, thanks for catching my mistake. I'd hate to give someone a bum steer and have them buy something they don't need.:b

Cheers.
    J.