1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you teach a cat to use a cat door?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I recently moved into a new house and found a convenient location for my cat's litter box in the basement. Then, I thought I would be nice and put a cat-door in the basement door for her.

She just doesn't get it. I shove her through, but she can't figure it out herself. She just sits there and glares at me through the plastic window. She's an older cat (14 yrs or so). So, I don't know if she just stubborn or what.

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Put her food on one side and her litter box on the other and leave her alone. She'll figure it out.

3. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

I also left my cat door propped open for a while until he got accustomed to going in and out without having to push the "flap"...

For a while there, he would use it freely to come back inside, but still whine at the back door to be let out... But he got it all sorted out eventually...

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

She's just used to things being a certain way. Give her time to get used to her new surroundings. Right now, she doesn't give a rip about the little door; she is still overwhelmed by the bigger picture, so to speak.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Jack has a good point. It will take awhile for your cat to become acustomed to her new surroundings. Why not leave the basement door open for awhile until she gets used to her new home? Then you can introduce the cat door to her after she settles in.

Our two cats hate a closed door between rooms, and will bang at the door until we open it. I'm sure your cat will use the door once she gets used to the idea.

6. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

I've done this twice, once with an older cat. Tape the flap open and put food on the other side. After a few days, lower the flap and push the cat through. Place her/him on the outside and you stay on the inside. He or she will push her way back in. Leave the food on the other side until she uses the door herself. Remove the food.