What's new

How do you store collector sets? (1 Viewer)

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator
I keep the boxes for some things, but if it interferes with the collection, then out it goes. For instance, none of the Hitchcock boxes are chronological, and I keep my director collections arranged chronologically (my main collection is movie alphabetical and TV alphabetical [and I spell the numbers out too, for the simple reason that I don't want to have to think about which way the disc is labelled to be able to find it], but if I have more than five by a director, I shelve the director's films together), so I took them out of the boxes. (Didn't throw them out, though, in case I want to re-sell.) With Scorsese, I needed the box as a bookend at the end of the shelf, so I took out 'After Hours' and 'Goodfellas' and put in 'Taxi Driver' and 'The Last Waltz'.

Also, I shelve sequels together, and if they have boxes I usually like to keep them (though I'm not getting the extended 'Lord of the Rings' box). I file these under the first letter of the movie's title, and then the sequels and prequels are chronological-by-story. For instance, "The Adventures of Indiana Jones" was filed under 'R', and within the box, it was 'Temple of Doom', 'Raiders', 'Lost Crusade'.

I find it's easiest for me to find what I'm looking for if my collection is alphabetical. I used to also separate anything made-for-TV into its own section; but now, all of my TV stuff is mixed in with the movies. The only separation I do now is, all of my Chinese stuff is in its own section, same as my American stuff - movies first, then TV shows.

I think anything else would start making it harder on me, not easier :)

Jeff Briggs

Auditioning
Like Chris Bardon I also use Ikea bookcases for storage. To keep the discs at the front of the rather deep shelves I store videos & books at the back as "packing".

I also have separate sections for foreign language movies, animatedmovies/cartoons (makes it easier for visitor's kids to pick when they visit),and TV series.

Boxed sets are stored at the end unless they are sequels, such as Planet of the Apes, then they are stored under the original letter.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Genre (Left to Right)

-Music or made with/by Musicians (e.g. Anthology)
-Drama/Action/Western mixed together (Movies that heterosexual men feel comfortable talking about between one another)
-Comedy
-Blended Interest - TV, Sports History or anything that doesn't fit in any of the other categories)
-Movies that Women Love (and that heterosexual guys will watch or endure with their woman but never by themselves)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I just have all of mine in a separate section alphabetically in their slipcases. All of my normal dvds are also alphabetical, might do something different though.

I'm so anal that I still have the outer pieces of papers for films such as:
- LOTR EEs
- Indiana Jones Trilogy
- Master and Commander Collectors set
- Star Wars Trilogy
- Alien Quadrilogy
- Rocky Anthology

I keep eeevvveerrryyyttthhiinnnggg.

As far as storage, I have two different dvd cases. When I get more or when I move into a house I will probably step it up to a nicer unit that holds like 500-600 but right now I only have about 300 and it's fine for me to have 2 separate units.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I use Discgear Selectors to hold the discs, and store the original cases in plastic totes that I hide in the back of an unused closet. The Selectors are a bit pricey, but they have a sliding tray that pops out to hold the title list, and when a movie is selected the top lifts up and automatically pulls out the selected movie. Really cool. The only problem is having to re-do the list every time I add a movie to maintain alphabetical order. Basically, I let it go for a while, then re-do it. List templates can be downloaded from the Discgear web site, and they also have a filing system that can be saved on the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks