How do you stay motivated? (spin off from healthy lifestyle post)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

With few exceptions over the past few years I have found it very difficult to keep myself motivated about maintaining proper body weight and a healthy lifestyle.

I know all the reasons why I should strive for these things but yet always seem to grab those damn oreo cookies rather than a piece of fruit.:b

What have you done to help keep that motivation and will going?

Thanks,

Brian

2. Ryan Witt

Ryan Witt Agent

If you haven't already, have someone (or use a time delay camera to) take pictures of yourself naked. Do it like mug shots; facing front, left, right, and back. Take them after every 10 pounds you lose.

I never realized how much of a fatass I was until I did this. Trust me, the mirror may lie to you, but the camera won't.

Then, when you get back into shape, use the "heaviest" pictures to keep yourself motivated to keep in shape.

3. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

The physical improvements that I could notice with my own eyes helped a lot. You just feel better as the weight comes off (I went from 200 to 160). Also the fact that women started noticing me really helped too, but that was just a nice side effect [​IMG]
    I like Ryan's suggestion too, I didn't take any pictures at 200 but I took a waist up shot when I was at about 170 (with less muscle than I have now) and even that difference is amazing.

4. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I hope you're using polaroids when taking those pictures!! What would the people at the Walmart photo booth think!? [​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I rely on self-hatred, shame, and loneliness to motivate me. [​IMG]

6. Ryan Witt

Ryan Witt Agent

I just use a digital camera.

That way, if my fiance ever gets pissed at me, she can just send my photos 'round the 'net. :b

7. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I'm north of forty, and when people you've known for 20 years or more pass on from coronaries etc. you realize the need to take care of yourself.

I'm not too overweight at 6'1"/205lbs but I try to watch my diet closer now for fats. Had a free blood pressure screening today at work, which was 110/80 so I was happy about that.

8. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

hahaha...I used a digital camera too. Plus at 175 some people wouldn't have even called me overweight.

9. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Just to give you an idea of my lifestyle now...

I'm 28 years old, 6'0" tall and (drum roll please...) 283lbs. To look at me most people think I weigh closer to 250. I'm told because I "hide it well", not perfectly clear on whether I should take that as a compliment or not.

Anyhow, I work behind a computer 8 hours a day and my only exercise is playing volleyball every Monday night for a local non-sanctioned USVBA club. I don't eat healthy, too much junk food and when I do eat healthier food it's usually a big portion. I also indulge in a late night snack of some sort more then I should. I haven't been sleeping well either, not getting to bed until 12:00am most nights. Yeah, I know, kinda pathetic huh?

Well, that's why I'm going to give it a true effort this time around I was hoping to get ideas from fellow HTF members to keep me motivatied.

Keep the ideas and replies coming.

Thanks again,

Brian