How do you split frequencys between multiple subs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by james vaughan, Mar 11, 2006.

1. james vaughan

I have a Denon 3805 with only one sub out. So I have run a splitter to my svs and my two rocket ufw 10's. I want the 10's to augment my mains in the upper base and let the svs handle the low and dirty work.
    If my receiver is sending out signal crossed over at 80hz how do I divvy up the signal on the sub end of things? Say 30 hz and down to the svs and 30hz and up to the mains and the two 10's.
    If I understand this right I can not use the built in cross overs on the subs beings a crossed over signal is already being sent. Am I stuck with this configuration for know with an av receiver and when I go pre/pro will this change my sub dilema?

2. StevieP

StevieP Stunt Coordinator

There are several ways you could accomplish what you want...

Yes you can use both crossovers...Receiver/Sub/s.....I do it in my bedroom system....

You could also run the 10" subs from the Front L/R preouts on the receiver....and the SVS off the Sub out....or You could run speaker wire to the 10" subs, then to the mains....etc.

I'm not familiar with the Denon's crossover flexibility...but there are quite a few options in my DA5ES Sony...and the Denon should be similar.

Steve~

3. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

This is fairly easy to do but I have heard it is a bad idea. Apparently it is very difficult to achieve a linear response and keep it all in phase. It is much easier to run them all "full" range. Call SVS about it. Im sure they can help you.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you want a precisie division between the two, you’ll have to use an outboard crossover, probably a pro audio model. You can safely use a cheap one for this application, look at Pyle, DOD, Nady, Behringer, etc. If you want to go a little more upscale, look at Rane or dbx. Make sure the one you pick has a crossover point low enough. That might be a problem if you want to divide at 30 Hz, because most pro audio systems bottom out before that point.

You would send the signal from the receiver to the crossover. The high output would go to the two 10s, the low output would feed the SVS.

Jacobs raises an interesting issue about phase. You may end up having to adjust phase between the receiver and 10s, and again between the 10s and the SVS. If the 10s are near the mains, that might minimize at least that one. AFAIK crossover filters with 24 dB/octave slopes and Linkwitz-Riley alignment have the best phase characteristics, so you might want to keep that in mind when choosing a crossover.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    James, What main speakers do you have?

6. james vaughan

Hey Mark,
    I am running the Rocket 760's and bigfoot center with the 300's for surrounds.