What's new

How do you set up two vcr's to dub tapes? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I know it must be very easy to do, but a friend of mine just called me and he can't figure it out. I don't even have a vcr set up at home, so I figured I'd ask here to make sure I get it right. I assume you just use rca cords and go from vcr 1 audio and video OUT to vcr 2 audio video IN and then play the tapes in vcr 1 while recording in vcr 2 but I wanted to make sure that that's right.

Does it make a difference if a coax cable (cable tv)is being run through the first vcr? Does a coax line need to go to the 2nd line?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On VCR2, you'll need to "tune" or select the "Line Input" so that the VCR2 will record that input (vs. a regular TV channel).

A coax feeding VCR1 shouldn't matter once you start playing the tape in VCR1.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Also if they are trying to dub a store bought video tape it's not going to work because they have the Macrovision copy guard system in them. You've got the connections right, now all they have to do is figure out how to record from the "Rear Inputs" or the "Front Inputs" depending on which set of "Inputs" they used. Most vcr's, but not all of them, you just push the button on the vcr remote (Or on the VCR) that says "Input" (1 push is usually the "Rear Inputs" & a second push is the "Front Inputs". If it doesn't have an "Input Button" try Pressing the "Channel Number Buttons" until you come to the "Inputs" they are usually right below channel 2. If you can't figure it out let us know what the brand & model number of the VCR is & I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you exactly what buttons to use.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And of course, we don't tolerate discussion of circumventing Macrovision protection here. So, let keep it all about the mechanics of dubbing (your own personal tapes, not copyrighted videotapes). :)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Yeah, my friend is a varsity b-ball coach who wants to copy game film so it's not a copyright issue.

thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You can record using just the coax from "Antenna Out" of the playing VCR to "ANtenna In"
of the recording VCR. Tune the latter to channel 3 or 4.

But they you have it, with red, white, and yellow TCA cords connected, is better.

Still better is a pair of S+video VCR's, connected using S-video, red, and white cables. Even if the VCR is set to record in regular VHS, the quality will be better than using the yellow RCA jacks.

It may be necessary to use one of the setup menus on the playing VCR to select front inputs versus rear inputs (vs. S-video inputs if any).

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Besides the picture quality not being as good if you use the RF Antenna Connections for dubbing the audio will be Monaural not Stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks