What's new

How do you route your cables (through receiver or direct to TV) (1 Viewer)

Brian_J

Second Unit
I am getting a Toshiba 50H81 within the next week. How do you guys handle video switching. Do you go directly from the DVD player, dss box, etc., to the TV and if so, how do you cut down on the extra steps (i.e spouse factor) involved when you add a receiver in the mix. I dont feel like buying a $300 remote with fancy macros but maybe there are some simple macros you can set up in the Denon 3801 remote or in an inexpensive one for all type remote?
Or do you route through the receiver and let it do the switching. I understand there can be some picture quality issues here.
Thanks,
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i go direct to the tv. my girlfriend has no problem changing inputs now but things were slow going to start with. i'd seriously consider a nice learning remote with macro features if i were you. you can get a sima lcd learning remote at circuit city for $99. it has had several different reincarnations...as a rotel, cambridge audio, ucommand, sunfire remote. i own the cambridge audio version and it's great. full lcd screen, total learning (nothing's pre-programmed). for $100 i don't think it can be beat.
kevin t

DaveD

Auditioning
Brian I have the same set you are getting. I route through the tv and my fiance uses the dish 500 remote. I use the all for one commander remote. It seems to work well, I still am somewhat dissapointed in dish network video quality, but I havent given up yet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I switch svideo (SVHS vcr, Hi8mm camcorder, DVD player) via the receiver, but connect the component output from the progressive scan DVD player directly to the television. I will be adding a HDTV tuner this week, and that will also get a direct connection to the second 1080i/480p component input. The DVD player is connected via svideo for the sole purpose of calibrating that input with Avia.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I have s-video going from the cable box and the DVD player through the receiver. I also have a component video cable going directly from the DVD player to the TV. This allows babysitters to switch easily using the reciever remote and still get a picture. (Wife understands the whole setup almost as well as I do :)) I always set the component input on the TV when watching DVDs. I can tell in about 5 seconds of watching which input the TV is using and I don't even have progressive scan yet.
------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)
[Edited last by Andrew W on August 14, 2001 at 10:30 AM]

Brian_J

Second Unit
I have s-video going from the cable box and the DVD player through the receiver. I also have a component video cable going directly from the DVD player to the TV. This allows babysitters to switch easily using the reciever remote and still get a picture. (Wife understands the whole setup almost as well as I do ) I always set the component input on the TV when watching DVDs. I can tell in about 5 seconds of watching which input the TV is using and I don't even have progressive scan yet.
Damn why didn't I think of that? That is exactly what I will do!
Thanks for the replies guys. I will post a thorough review of this TV after I get it in the house for a week or so.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks