What's new

how do you remember all those combos??? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

been playing some tekken4 and soul caliber 2. while i find the games enjoyable, i tend to find myself just turning the game into a button-mash fest -- which leads to two things: me getting bored and losing! :D

i've done the training modes, but that doesn't seem to help me much ... but that's not sayin' much either.

i just can't remember all those freakin button combos, so i was wondering how you guys do it. do you just remember specific moves, do you practice 8 hours a day (forget that), or is there some other super-secret strategy i'm not aware of? ;)

thx,

ted

James T

Screenwriter
My strategy is button mashing.

Practice is really the only way to remember how to do combos. Even back during the Street Fighter 2 where a 5 hit combo was high was tough to do, I'm sure I'll be struggling for these 30+ hit combos.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
In Tekken all you need is a juggle starter and then be creative from there, it's been that way for all of them. I made a couple of combo videos back in the T3/TTT days, Julia and the Mishimas have some mean ones. Which character do you choose?

Tekken Videos | TZ combo lists
Soul Calibur vids

The Zaibatsu vids require you to donate $$ to see em. I have most of them downloaded, let me know who you use and I'll upload them.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Conditioning. That is how you remember all those combos. It doesnt take eight hour practice sessions, but some short ones here and there are always good. When playing against anyone, always have one or two combos memorized, and eventually it becomes second nature to just rattle them out on someone, because you have conditioned your mind and body to use them when the opporunity presents itself. Once those are conditioned, find one or two new ones to throw into the mix.

The other trick is to find a combo that you like, or feels right to you in its movements. There are tons of combos for everyone in every fighting game, but not all the combos fit your personal style. Just because its the most powerful and destructive combo doesnt make it the best for you. My fighting games of choice are Soul Calibur 2 and DOA 3, and when I play I only have a core group of characters I use habitually and combos from them I use habitually because they are what move and flow correctly to my mind.

Misturugi in SC2 is my man of choice. He is quick and powerful, but not the quickest and most powerful. He is a nice balance of both, which makes him ideal for my way of thinking. His combos are not overly flashy, have no wasted movement, and are quick and to the point. No messing around with him. There are several powerful combos he has that I like seeing, but I dont use because they just dont flow correct in my mind. I only use combos that begin and end when I want and how I want, and can also be tweaked for my own uses.

In DOA3, I use Ein and Hitomi, the two karate practioners. They are very quick and powerful, but not the best at both those things, again like Mitsurugi. Their movement and attacks are very fast and liner, no wasted movement. Their style fits into how I like things accomplished, so thus I use them most of the time. They have some combos that are more devastating than others, but have like one extra tenth of a second in use that I dont like and feels wasted, so I dont use it.

Is it possible to remember ALL the combos for everyone? No, but after a while they all just start to flow naturally from your hands while you play.

That is at least how I always learn sequences of anything, conditioning. Remember Sammy Jankis? Sorry, bad joke there.

You dont want to always rely on the same combo over and over again in a fighting game, because a good player will recognize your repetition and exploit it, so its good to know a healthy ammt of them. Another cheap trick is to start a combo on someone, then stop in the middle, which throws the person into a short state of confusion, usually opening them up for a throw or a quick power hit. They were expecting one more hit from the combo so they could counter, but your pause in the middle messes their whole plan up and gives you that split second needed to send them into the next world.

Yes, I know this was a long post, but just an interesting question that for some reason sparked something inside me.
Short version? Condition your mind and body to do combos you like. Repetition is key.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
wow scott. i never even knew there was a whole video culture out there. guess i'm not that much of a gamer, but if i do get into it like that i'll hit you up for those vids! thanks for the offer!

i like the idea of a core set of moves -- maube i'll try that approach and see what happens. good tips sean - thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks