What's new

how do you pronounce cruller? (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
how do you pronounce cruller? i'm talking about that donut-type snack, here in canada it can either take a brick-like shape or a tractor-wheel form. anyways i used to pronounce it "croo-ler" but now i use "crull-er".

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
According to Merriam-Webster, the latter pronunciation is correct. I love how they give you wav files to hear proper proununciation!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Meriam-Webster is an alright source but I'll follow the lords of the doughnut, Bob & Doug McKenzie. They agree with M-W and pronounce it crull-er

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
nothing annoys me more (pronounciation-wise) than when people pronounce reese's pieces like "reesies piecies". they take a word that is familiar, pieces, and pronounce it like pee-sees. and what is so hard about saying siren? way too many people say si-reen. anyway, those annoy me. but i dont think ive ever said the word cruller out loud, before this thread came up.

CJ

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i've never heard it pronounced "si-reen", must be a regional :P

what i can't stand is people who pronounce it "shedule" as if there was no hard k sound :) i was watching tv once and some comedian had a bit "when i hear a person pronouce it shedule, i ask them, where did you learn that? in shool?"

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Si-reen is a New Yorkism. Shed-ule for skedul is the standard British pronounciation. I believe "cruller" can go either way.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Other annoying mistakes: "Clair-oil" for "Clairol" beauty products and "Low-ees" for the "Loew's" theater chain.

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It's "Krull-er", those are the long ones. A "French Krull-er" is the tractor wheel one (made with eggs). The Dunkin' Donuts Academy used to be in my hometown, so I know.:D Only Canadians pronounce it Crool-er, so we know what that's all aboot, er, uhm, about.:D

(Be prepared for an onslaught of Canadians who deny saying "aboot" or "aboat", which is as silly as me saying I don't "Pahk the cah in the Hahvud yahd".):laugh:

P.S., all in good fun, from a fellow Hockey fan who knows what offsides is, has actually worn a pair of SuperTacks and even dropped the gloves a time or two.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
my favorite canadian one is how they say against, they pronounce it "a-gaynst". barry melrose is the worst offender of this type. or should i say "oh-fender"?

CJ

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

Didn't the Canadian diplomat at the UN get laughed at for saying aboot over and over again?

Nevermind, it was just South Park.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Most Americans pronounce it "ah-gehnst", with no accent. Barry Melrose pronounces it "ay-GAYNST", with a distinct accent on the last syllable. Does not really bother me, so I don't know what Christ is talking aboot. :wink: (only kidding Christ).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
That one was right over the plate, Christ. I'd be disappointed if you didn't smack it over the wall!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
krull-er

i vary between 'ah-ghenst' and 'ah-gaynst' and 'oh-fended' and 'aw-fended'

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
indeed it was, i appreciate the meatball down the middle. if i couldnt hit that one, i should probably step out of the game for a little while...

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks