how do you prevent sewer backups?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

We had crazy record rains a few weeks ago and many people got water in their basements from seepage (like me) or sewer backups. Is there a way to prevent sewer backsups? Can you get some sort of one way valve that prevents it from coming back up the pipe, because I'd like to get one.

jeremy

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down [​IMG]
    The less that's in there, the less that can back up, haha.

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I was going to shoot from the hip and guess that probably no such valve existed. When you consider the forces involved (doesn't 6 inches of water in a 900 sq. ft. basement weigh something like 14 tons?) such a valve would have to be awfully beefy as would the moorings needed to prevent it from launching through the roof.
    But I did a search on "basement drain check valve" before running my keyboard and discovered I was wrong.:b
    For instance, Re: Sewer Backup Through Basement Floor Drain

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well I know there's "palmer valve" that can be found in your basement floor drain and connects your drain tile to your floor drain pipe. (if you have drain tile connected to your floor drain)

Not that that valve will help you.. just to let you know that such a valve does exist. I agree with Jim_F, there's probably not one for the main drain.

Theres not much you can do to prevent sewer backup save for having a submersible pump at the ready.

Get your neighborhood together and complain to your municipality... and make sure your flood insurance is up to date.

6. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

Flood insurance doesn't cover sewer backups as I found out 2 years ago [​IMG]
    But, all the plumbers swear by sewer stops. The are basically a rubber ball that hangs down in your drain, and if it backs up, the ball floats up and creates a seal. Costs less than 10 bucks and works like a charm.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The way to prevent seepage through the foundation is to make sure water isn't channeled close to it. The ground around your house needs to have a slight downward pitch in order for water to run away from the foundation. Make sure your gutters are clear so the water isn't spilling over and falling down next to the house. Also, if you have gutters the drain directly into the ground (right next to the foundation) you can cut off the gutter near the ground, put on an elbow and a gutter extension to direct water away from the foundation and into the yard.