What's new

How do you position two pairs of speakers when comparing? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i was discussing this with my friend, but neither of us were really sure.

let's say you're comparing two speakers side by side. do you position them like this:

A / B -- A / B

or like this:

A / B -- B / A

i'm thinking the first setup, but can't really give a good reason why. just seems to make more sense. if you did the second setup i feel it would create a false sense of spaciousness since the speakers are farther apart?

thx,

ted

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A/B - B/A then B/A - A/B :)
Last audition we did at my place, we just swapped them out, leaving the stands in the same place, roughly keeping the speakers in the same place/orientation.
Check the music section, I have a question about the new TCM and Orbital CDs. :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well heck john! that would make wayyy too much sense. :) off to music i go...

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I would suggest setting one pair of speakers up at a time in its optimized position. Then swapping them out and re-positioning. This is what almost all high end dealers do.

Looking back at it that is pretty much what John suggested, sorry

-rob

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
by the time i listened to one pair, swapped them out then listened to another pair, i'd be hard-pressed to precisely recall what the first pair sounded like! unfortunately i've got copper ears.

by having them side-by-side i can do a faster A/B type comparison.

once i had a specific model in mind, i would certainly do a demo on an individual basis.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I'd want to compare them each in as optimum a position as possible. Then maybe take notes of my impressions. I think any kind of side by side is going to result in serious compromises to both sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks