How do you organize your Netflix/Blockbuster Queue?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brent_H, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

I'm sure some of you have hundreds of titles in your rental queues...Doesn't it frustrate you that you will never get caught up with it?

I'm wondering how everyone prioritizes their rentals. If you don't shuffle it around often, some things might never get towards the top. Is there a method to your renting?

I usually alternate the new titles with a drama tv-series and sitcom. I'd like to throw in older titles I haven't seen, but then I'll never keep up with the new stuff.

What's everyone else do?

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The most I've ever had in my queue is 20 or so. I shuffle it around all the time. I am way too moody when it comes to movies to leave it as it is. Heck, half of the time, by the time the discs show up I am in a completely different mood, which leads to some frustrating situations.

I've kept some discs at home for a couple of months because of this, thinking I will soon want to watch them (thus prefering to keep'em rather than returning and getting them back later when the mood strikes again), and never getting there.

Right now, there is exactly one entry in my queue, just gotta make sure I add a couple more when I return the discs.

--
    H

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I have over 300 and could add tons more but there is little point to it. I tend to stick new films at the top as they come out, along with the new Criterions, then squeeze in old stuff as it comes up on my list. I don't try to get every new release so there are weeks when I can make headway. Usually from April until the fall there aren't as many new movies I want to see coming out and I can get deeper into my list.

I will sometimes group directors/genre/subject matter together. But for the most part my list isn't organized and I just leave the films in the same order I added them to my list in.

I'm starting to get pissed at Netflix for their limitation policy, as I'm really stating to suffer from it (only 3 movies this week. I used to be able to get 6) but it is still a good deal. May eventually have to check out someone else like Greencine.

4. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I have around 250 or so. I wish you could set up multiple queues (one for TV, one for Classics, one for a director / actor / whatever you like, etc.) and then set it so Netflix will send you a certain number of your total movies you get at a time from each queue. I just like to get a mix of stuff (TV, new stuff, classics, foreign) and hate having to rearrange my queue all the time to make sure I'm not getting more than one TV show disc at a time, etc.

Brian

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I've got my Netflix queue maxed out at 500 movies (three out at a time), and I add to it as soon as I see one or two films, so it's been at that level for the last couple of months [​IMG]

I just skim over the list while I'm bored at work every few days and move whatever sounds good at the time to the top of the list.

6. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

maybe it's time to bump it up to the 5-at-a-time? [​IMG]

7. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

You can do this. Just set up different "profiles" and put whatever type of discs you want in them, then you can set how many each profile can have out at a time. Search Netflix help for "profiles"

8. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Thanks Chris! I'm gonna do that.

9. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

I currently have 11 in my queue. That is low for me. I'm usually around 15 to 20. I add movies as the come out in the theater. The queue will keep this info and insert the films in your queue when they are about to be released. I have a 13 year old and a 9 year old so I try to keep a few family or kid movies at the top. Every now and then, my wife gives me a few to add. Those go right to the bottom. Just kidding of course. I move movies around quite a bit as my mood changes. I get recommendations sometimes and I usually put those at the top. I've been with Netflix since practically the beginning and have the 4 at a time plan. They have been good to long time customers.

10. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I try to mix it up; one for me, one for the kids, one for the boss, etc. I will throw in a series now and then, and do them all in a row.

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    doesn't really matter for me anymore. netflix is taking so long to send (and check in) movies for me, that i've nearly lost all interest. i love this service, but unless they speed it up, i'll have to cancel.

concerning the queue, i usually put what i've been meaning to see for a long time first, unless there is a new movie that just came out that i want to see, which almost never happens.

it must be from when i rented "bound", because looking at my recommendations, netxlix' algorithms think i'm gay.

CJ

12. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I have over 200 in my Netflix queue, and I add to it almost daily. And, no, it doesn't frustrate me that I'll never get through it all. That's what the queue is for. Having an empty queue would be much more frustrating.

I don't really see the point of deciding which Adam Sandler movie should be the 199th item in my queue, so I don't fret over the order or ranking of movies in the queue at all. Instead, whenever I add a movie, even if it is one I want to see soon, I just leave it at the bottom. Then I just move the movie I want to see next to the top whenever I send a movie back. That's it.

As long as the next movie I want to see is at the top, what else could possibly matter?

13. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I continuously bump up whatever titles I'm interested in at the present time.

14. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

The wife and I treat it as a wish list, as a result it's huge. We move stuff to the top we fancy seeing next or if we forget to do that or can't be bothered, the disk is a nice surprise.