What's new

How do you organize your Movie rack? (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Do you ever have a problem finding a disc? What if you know the movie you want to see, but it straddles multiple genres and you can't remember which studio and case type it's in?
George, not yet but I have gone back and forth when entering a new film into the database trying to decide which genre a film belongs in.

BTW - one benefit to sorting by genre is that it seems to make it a bit easier to pick out a film to watch - especially for my guests. If we feel like a comedy, for example, all the comedies are in one place. (Well, two places: watched comedies and unwatched comedies.)

-greg

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Alpha by title + a new report printed as needed from my DVD Profiler, so when company comes over and I demo the theater, the DVD's are in the order of the report and I can go immediately to them. Hey, it's a small collection by some standards (hitting just 54 after Christmas), but it works for me and it looks good!

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
One shelf for Anime
One shelf for TV
Double Wide amaray cases Movies
Snapper Movies
Regular size amaray cases Movies
Box Set Movies

All sections alphabetical

Andy

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I Keep most of mine in my 300 changer
I leave out the 2nd disc if it's extras or DVD ROM.
I Try to keep discs together like comedy drama Sci-fi and thats the way I print them out using DVD profiler.I keep all of Kubricks movies together..really the only exception. kevin Smith's movies are all together but they are all in the comedy section anyways.
Most of the time when you want to watch something, you are in the mood for comedy...or sci-fi etc.
Not, " I think I will watch a movie starting with 'N'"

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I just organize them in ABC order, tried the by studio but there were a few complications like how some Columbia titles say Tristar, some say Columbia Tristar. I'll do something.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
I ordered my genre dividers from the following company:
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/GenreDividers.htm
They have standard genre dividers such as Horror, Animated, Comedy, but you can order any custom divider you want. You can see how they look in my DVD cabinets at Link Removed
There is one especially good shot with my daughter in front of the cabinet that shows the dividers in the bookshelf case. I recommend them highly!
I have my collection divided alphabetically by genre, starting with the "New Release" section followed by Action/Adventure, Action/War, Action/Western, Comedy, Disney Classics, Drama, etc.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I keep all my dvd movies, concerts, others....organized by the year they were released. I even have labels "1937" that go above the movie (s) for that year. Pretty cool and neat to see the transformation of film. My oldest movie is Snow White from 1937 and my newest film on dvd is Attack of the Clones.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Alphabetical by director, not title. By ascending release date for each director.

Operas in a different section, by composer. By ascending composition date for each composer. Alphabetical by conductor in the event that I have different versions of the same opera.

However I keep unviewed DVDs separately, in order that I plan to view them. This order changes frequently on my feelings of the moment. When I've watched one it goes into the main section.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I do mine by studio also. Each studio has their own shelf. I then then organize again by studio collection and spine description for a neat appearance. Large studio collections Like MGM Midnight Movies get their own shelf. I also follow the snapper commandment so I have some snappers from Goodtimes on the Warners/Newline/HBO shelves. Keeping them organized by studio makes use some brain power to find a specific release. When the collection becomes so massive that it needs to be stored in a seperate room. I plan to catalog all the media by director. DVD and Laser boxsets are stored away in their own special place.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Alpha, numbers at the front (only have three numbers anyway; 2 Days in the Valley, 3000 Miles to Graceland, 40 Days & 40 Nights).
I briefly considered genre sorts, and still do ponder it, but it would ultimately make it harder to find things, not easier. I'd forget which sections to check in, might change my mind about where a movie fits, etc... Everything goes in alpha and I've not lost a disc yet.
Does confuse my friends, occasionally, who don't remember the real names of the discs. Recently my roommate was looking for my copy of "Adventures of Pluto Nash" under P, and my friend was looking for my "Evening with Kevin Smith" under both K and S .... :P
I index them with an Excel database that I track my personal rankings of the discs and the disc authoring (i.e., I rank movie and disc separate), director/writer/actors, and I apply overlapping genre categories to it. I'm maintaining all the data entry as I grow the DB, so when I (hopefully, no laughing!) get a computer accessible DVD Jukebox I can play with programming to get it to pick discs based on mood lists or anything else I might want to set up or query for. Easier to code everything as entered, vs going back after I've got more than the 300 I have now to add it.
I used to use DVD Profiler waaaaay back in 99, but then they went down for a while, then came back up pay or something, so I said screw it and redid everything (was about 90 discs at the time) in Excel so I could control it.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I organize by "category" and "series".
Categories:
Film
Animation
Documentary
Music
Television
Series:
for the Film category, this is usually the director and looks something like this:
Allen, Woody
Altman, Robert
Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker
followed by "Misc film" (if there is only 1 by that director)
In the Animation category the Series are more like this:
Anime
Disney (features)
Disney (shorts)
etc.
Finally, chronologically within each series. (Woody Allen starts with Take The Money & Run and ends with Hollywood Ending, Disney Features starts with Snow White and ends with Lilo & Stitch).

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Autobiographical.

So if I want to watch "Chasing Amy" I have to remember that in 2001 I bought it as a Christmas gift for someone but didn't give it to them for personal reasons.

Sound comforting?

It is.

If anyone can get the above reference kudos to you.

I sort by alphabetical, numbers go in the corresoponding letter (12=twelve).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Alphabetical (numbers in front).

Box sets separately in no particular order.

R2/3/4 disk separately, but as soon as I get more storage I'll merge them in to the alphabetical storage, and viewer will have to be smart enough to figure out which DVD player they need to use...

The Criterion Collection in numerical order.

Eric Rohmer & François Truffaut movies separately.

Ted

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I sort mine by director, then chronologically within the director, which drives my wife nuts as I keep sticking Spinal Tap in with her Rob Reiner films, and she likes to keep her DVD purchases separate for when her friends go through the collection, she can write of the John Waters as my crappy picks. I make exceptions for series (IE:Hannibal Lector films, Die Hards). I do not organize them alphabetical by director, as some of the cases (IE Evil Dead films) fit strange in my rack and I have to make due with what I have. If I don't have multiple discs from the same director, I just put them in the rack all willy nilly at the end of the director sorted section. All Disney titles are also kept on a separate shelf. I only have about 180 titles, so this currently works for me.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Alphabetically by director (except Criterion titles, which are on their own).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks