What's new

How do you organize your Movie rack? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
With DVDs numbering in hundreds (and a few unreleased movies still on VHS), organization starts to become an issue. I was wondering how other people organize their collection...

Here are some of the interesting possibilities I could think of:

- organize by packaging type (snappers vs. regular vs. bulky collector sets): this gives the appearance of a neat rack but creates multiple mini collections.

- organize alphabetically: creates a unified but somewhat disheveled looking collection.

- organize by genre: potentially beneficial for a variety of reasons but deciding which movies belong in which genres could be challenging.

- organize by release data of movie: creates a unified but somewhat disheveled looking collection.

- organize by release date of DVD: would give you a better idea of what to expect in terms of picture/sound quality and might shed some light on which titles are needing to be updated.

- organize by the time period of the movie: Amadeus to the left, Star Trek to the right (I have to say, I'm somewhat enamored with trying this one).

Currently, I've separated by packaging type and alphabetized within each mini collection...but I'm thinking about an overhaul.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Alphabetical, with numeric titles first. "Extra Feature" DVDs (ie. Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures) go at the end. No exceptions.

For the few "box sets" I've purchased, the superfluous cardboard box has gone into the recycle bin.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I keep snappers with snappers, keepcases with keepcases, bulky keepcase with bulky keepcases, and other with other. To me it looks better that way. I also keep movies and their sequels together and similar movies if they are in the same packaging.

Rob T

Screenwriter
All the non-Disney movies take up 2 shelves.
All the Disney movies (with the live action first then animation 2nd) and TV titles are on the same shelf (at the moment), but they're sectioned off from each other.
Nothing is in alphabetical order yet. One day it will all be though. :)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I keep all movies in alpabetical order. Box sets are on their own shelf. Then TV and video games have their own separate rack.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Alphabetical order, with numbers coming first. With box sets, I alpha them as well (Stanely Kubrick Collection in the S's).

MattHR

Screenwriter
Alphabetical, within the following categories:

Theatrical movies, TV series & TV movies, animation, Disney, stand-up comedy, music video & concerts, documentary & special interest, PAL & other regions,
odd-sized box-sets.

Titles beginning with numerals are filed as if the number has been spelled out (2 DAYS IN THE VALLEY is filed under the letter "T"). Concerts and comedy programs are filed under the artists' last name.

Other exceptions include: Sequels are filed together, even if they have different titles: JASON X is filed as if its title were FRIDAY THE 13TH-PART 10. ARMY OF DARKNESS is filed after EVIL DEAD 1 & 2. THE ROAD WARRIOR is filed between MAD MAX and MM BEYOND THUNDERDOME. An occasional PAL title is filed with the rest: CHILD'S PLAY 3 (PAL) is filed with the others to complete the set, since it's not available in Region 1.

I've already outgrown a custom-built, in-wall shelving unit
designed to hold about 800 dvds. I've started storing the lesser-watched titles in the guest room closet. I guess it's time to start thinning the collection.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I used to have it in order of the time I bought them, with the most recent as the first one on the rack. I recently put them all in alphabetical order with numerical titles (like 2001: A Space Odyssey) first.

James L White

Supporting Actor
alphabetical as well, all films in a series go in order of theatruical release, IE Bonds goes under B with Goldeneye then TND then WINE (from left ro right)[the excption to Theatrical order will by with the intire Star Wars saga which will be organized in numerical order, episode I then II, III, IV V, I and finally VI.Not sure how I'll do Indy assuming all the movies are released in separate cases.Most lieky theartrical even though Templ is considered a prequel to Raiders

keep cases first, then odd cases such as simpsons, Soprannos then snappers last

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alphabetical by studio

This increases the chances that cases will all
look the same.

I start with Columbia, go through the entire A-Z
list and then go on to Dreamworks and so on.

Anyone know where I can order dividers to label
each studio section?

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Alphabetically with a separate section for box sets ... but after seeing this thread there will be some changes.

Thanks for the extra work!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Alphabetically, with series in their alphabetical location (ala, all Star Wars are consider ST, even though the induvidual movie titles aren't). Box sets or special packaging which doesn't fit the standard DVD case size goes at the end, in whatever manner I can get them to work.

Atleast that's how it used to be, I have more DVDs than I have space for, now, so the ones on the shelves are in order, with the rest in piles on the floor around it.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Alphabetical in Catagories...

Drama/Classic/Action
Scifi/Fantasy/Horror
Musical
Comedy
Family/Animation
Music/Documentaries
Television

There are some tough calls...
Final Fantasy although animated goes in the Scifi section.
ET and Harry Potter are also in the Scifi/Fantasy section as opposed to Family.

Sequels are together even if alphabetically they would be apart... ie: The Two Jakes is right next to Chinatown. Color of Money comes after The Hustler.

Bond, Hitchcock and Harryhausen films are in there own groups and are not filed alphabetically but chronologically.

It may sound complicated, but it works for me. I'm at over 400 dvds right now and I can always find what I'm looking for!

Ric

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
James,

I have plenty to do ..... I have to finish my Saturday nap, eat some more leftover Holiday deserts and watch the Playoffs in a few hours.

My box sets are kept in a closed cabinet separated from my singles which are in a Boltz rack. I am looking into one those Can-Am cabinets but they seem expensive.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Theatrical titles are A-Z
Then Documentaries A-Z
Then TV stuff A-Z
Then Anime A-Z
Movie box sets are on their own shelf

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have 3 sections:
- Box Sets
- Compilations
- Everything else
Each section is chronologically ordered. Box sets are ordered by the oldest film in the set. Compilations are done exactly the same. They include music video DVDs and shorts compilations like the Walt Disney Treasures.
The rest of the rack is in chronological order. For mutliple titles within a year (which I have a lot), I order them by month of release. (I'm not obsessive compulsive, am I? :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks