How do you organize your DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lew Crippen, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Unpacking after my last (according to my wife, our very last) move, caused me to rethink the organization of my DVD collection. I’ve never bee terribly satisfied with how I’ve done this (or for CDs or vinal), so I’m curious as to how all of you have your collections arranged. Except, that is, for the anarchists, who prefer chaos.

Right now, I have my collection sorted into two main groups: viewed and unviewed. Those groups are arranged in alphabetical order, by director, except for music-oriented DVDs, which are sorted (in the case of operas) by composer, or by group for most other types of music on DVD.

Your arrangements?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Well, most of my collection is in alphabetical order. My Criterion titles are kept on a separate shelf in numerical order while my complete collection of James Bond titles, also kept on a separate shelf, is ordered by year of release. My box sets sit on top of my bookcases.
    That's it! [​IMG]

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I order mine alphabetically, with separate sections for Hitchcock, Kubrick, and Criterion films.

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I order mine alphabetically and separate keepcases, snappers, slipcases, box sets and speciality cases by case type.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    In chronological order and...

Box Sets: Chrono (oldest title in box determines placement...for example, my Image Chaplin box goes before the Universal Horror box)
    Compilations (Anything that features multiple things like the Disney treasures, Three Stooges, and music video DVD's.)
    Then, regular DVD's.

Multiple titles in a year (like Amadeus and Top Secret!) go in order of release (I look that up on the IMDB).

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Anime (growing), box sets, TV, Anchor Bay, then the rest in alphabetical order [​IMG]

7. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I still have mine sorted by Studio!

I plan on changing this soon though, as my collection has become too large for this type of organization.

I will either go to Genre, or Alphabetical.

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I did have it alphabetical with Criterion and multi-disc sets separate. Since I got some new shelves I'm playing with a genre method I'm not sure if I like.

Categories are:
    Criterion
    Multi-Disc Sets
    Directors (own 3 or more non-Criterion, non-multi disc by same director, directors arranged alphabetically, films by director arranged chronologically.)
    Silents
    Foreign
    Pre-80's
    Musicals
    Horror
    Post 80's
    Kids

9. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Agent

Alphabetically. When I get more I will class them alpha by type

10. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I store the physical disks alphabetically, but I can sort them any way I like (last date watched, production year, running time, title, rating, puchase date and so on...), with my custom DVD Database. My collection is getting pretty big, and after using my online database system for over a year, I can't imagine doing it any other way.

11. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Currently arranged by year and date of release (Ghostbusters (June 84) goes before 2010 (December 84)), with a separate section for the Disney stuff and some of my other favorites.

12. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

With near to 1100 total DVDs, I couldn't imagine putting them together by genre or studio or release date. I'm way too lazy for that. This is our system:
    Single/doubles - Alphabetical, numerical first (13th Warrior, 200 Cigarettes, 400 Blows, 1941, etc.). to Zero Effect and Zoolander.
    Hong Kong/Chinese - Alphabetical (by English title)
    Box and other sets - Alphabetical by title/name (Aliens, The Directors, French Connection, Godfather, Kubrick, Monty Python, Twin Peaks, etc.)
    Music - Alphabetical by artist/group
    Superbit - Alphabetical
    Odds and Ends - No particular order (Video Essentials & ilk, 2 movies in one package, DVDs in jewel cases, etc.)
    I'd like to put movies together by directors so I could have, for instance, all the Coen Brothers' movies together, but my husband hates that and says no.

13. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

By life event. Oh wait, I'm not John Cusack.

Most films are alpha, except box sets and anime (separate.) I use boltz racks for storage - probably got 300 total, 1/3 anime I think.

14. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

I sort my 250+ DVDs by Studio which looks great on the shelf...

15. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I've sorted by Studio for as long as I've owned DVDs and I still do [​IMG] LotR was my 350th DVD.

16. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I just sorted my collection all alphabetically. I used to have it alphabetically but seperated box sets, snappers etc. But now its just all in line disregarding different cases.

17. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I used to sort them by studio (seeing the same studio logo side by side appealed to me) making it harder to choose a movie I felt in the mood to watch.

Now I've recently resorted them by genre: family, drama, animation, horror/scary, etc. Works for me.

18. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

By studio.

19. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Alphabetically for DVD's. I organize my CD's by type of music (alphabetically within each type)

20. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    alphabetically. regular cases, then the crappy warner cases apart from them. and i have criterions on a different shelf organized by spine number.

CJ