What's new

How do you organize your Blu-ray Collection? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Jingles

Agent
Real Name
Alex
A-Z? By Studio? By Genre? By Actor?

I organize my titles, simply, from A-Z. Makes everything easier to find.

Gromilini

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Logan
I have various sections that share a common element--a Hitchcock section and a Kurosawa section, in chronological order. I have separate sections for Film Noir and 1950s SF, shelved alphabetically by title. TV series are kept together, in no particular order, except I keep all the Joss Whedon stuff together.

Everything else is divided into two sections--one with movies my wife likes & will watch, and ones I'll be watching on my own, all in alpha order by title. That way, she doesn't have to sort through all the action/superhero/horror movies when she's trying to find something to watch.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It's all over the board. Most are A to Z, however Shirley Temple is by herself as is Documentaries, Universal Horrors, Charlie Chan, and Mr Moto. The cinerama films are now separate as are cartoons. I guess I have my own unique way of organizing

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By Studio, alphabetically, with dividers separating groups.

I like the look of having all the studio logos line up with each other.

DSC_0036.jpg

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
My collection is pretty random, although I seem to be able to find just about anything pretty quickly. Boxed sets are all together.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Genres and if the actor or director is well known like John Wayne or Hitchcock then by name.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
A-Z, except for sets where multiple films share one box. Those are stored together and are generally sorted by director, actor, or theme, as warranted.

I also keep series films together, such as James Bond, Charlie Chan, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

---------------

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
by Genre, within that Groupings (director, or actor, or series, or studio), then within that Chronological.

So I have a Mystery/Crime section, a Comedy section, a Drama section, a Musicals section, etc. Si within Mystery I have Hitchcock, Thin Man, etc.

David

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
A - Z, except I have boxsets separately and all my Hitchcock separately and in chronological order (for those outside of any boxset).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Blus and DVDs mixed together in separate sections for Bond, Shirley Temple, Hitchcock, musicals, noir, Woody Allen, Agatha Christie, Disney animated, 3D.

All other films alphabetical but divided into two major sections: frequently watched and infrequently watched.

TV boxes on separate shelves.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
My love of movies is closely related to my love of history and I've always been fascinated by how movies relate to the world they were released in, so mine are chronological by release date, when possible (extant multi-title boxsets that I was unable to separate are kept in the general "era" of release), with television in its own separate area and BIG boxes (GWTW, Hitchcock, etc) that don't fit with the rest of the collection have their own shelf. It's the way I've sorted since DVD, but blu-rays and DVD's are kept separately.

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
Ronald Epstein said:
By Studio, alphabetically, with dividers separating groups.

I like the look of having all the studio logos line up with each other.

attachicon.gif
DSC_0036.jpg
Same. Although, it gets tricky when movies change studios as I like to keep franchises together whenever possible. So, in special cases, I'll mix studios. For instance, with the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies I'm mixing in Paramount, Disney and (if I ever get around to buying The Incredible Hulk), Universal. My reasoning is that the movies are all part of Marvel Studios (despite the logo on the side). The same will be done with Star Wars and Indiana Jones with the notion that they are from Lucasfilm (rather than Fox, Paramount, or (now) Disney). As for my Pixar collection, I prefer keep them in order of release (instead of, say, having Toy Story bunched together), as I consider Pixar to be a franchise of its own. I also like to keep subsidiaries together. So movies from, say, Touchtone are alongside my Disney movies (the same will eventually be done with Marvel and LucasFilm). I also keep my boxed sets and movies with special cases (i.e. digibook, hard booklike cases (i.e. Close Encounters), etc.) in the front of my collection. If possible, I prefer my movies to be in standard blu-ray cases, as they are easier to store and take up less room. The Close Encounters one, as nice as it is, could've easily been sold in a standard case. I wish the Star Wars collection had the movies split up into individual cases within the box set, since I don't know how I'll store it once Episode VII is released on Blu-Ray.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
A thru Z for the SDs (3000+) and A thru Z for the BDs (200+) w/ a sprinkling of HDDVDs intermingled with the BDs.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My system is a mix of different systems. But I can always find everything ..
There's a section for my wife's favourite movies/documentaries etc. Then we keep together all Hitchcock, all Truffaut, all Tati and all Robert Altman. Don't ask why I chose to keep them together ..it was just an organic development. Then I keep most documentaries together .. eg Kenneth Clark's 'Civilisation' and Alastair Cook's 'America'.
Then there's an Australian film group, then all foreign movies are grouped alphabetically, then most other movies are grouped alphabetically ... except I keep separate sections for Westerns and war movies.
Then comes a section for Musicals including the wonderful Warner box sets (yes, I keep DVDs and Blu rays together), then classical music, ballet and opera are gathered together. Then comes a general television section (alphabetically ranked), a small sports section which only includes Australian Rules grand finals for Essendon and the Sydney Swans, and finally, children's movies ... Hayley Mills having pride of place of course.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
My collection is a big mess and I don't really have the space to organize everything properly. I have a shelf of favorites that are sorted alphabetically, and I've double stacked a bunch of unwatched/blind buys in front of them. I have another shelf of poorer quality/cheaper/purchased used titles I care slightly less about. I have a cabinet of Criterions and TV titles and larger box sets. And then I probably have a hundred or so strewn about in various stacks and in cardboard boxes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just moved in to a new place, and am trying a new arrangement. In the past, I had separate sections for Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray TV shows, DVD movies and DVD TV shows. This time I set it up with formats mixed. The movies come first. There are a few shelves in the middle with music/concert discs. And then TV shows at the end. Large box sets on top of the shelving unit. Honestly not sure about how I feel about the mixing of the DVDs and Blu-rays. But easy enough to sort if I decide I don't like it. This makes me laugh to think about now (even if I cringe a little at my own pettiness). Years ago, I had a roommate I did not get along with at all (the other two roomies were fine, it was just one that was a problem), and by the end of the lease it was just a disaster. I kept my movie shelves out in a common area so everyone could share. The roommates I liked were far more movie literate than the one I didn't get along with, but the one I didn't like watched far more of them. So for the last month of the lease, I organized the titles chronologically, divided into groups by studio, and using the original release studio and not the DVD distributor. I knew where to find everything but the problem roomie was just lost. To flash forward to something more recent, when i first got a 3D TV I sorted the 3D Blu-ray Discs separately from the rest. Both for ease of picking a 3D thing to watch... And also so I could say in my defense, "there aren't a lot of 3D discs and fewer that are genuinely good movies...I only have it cause it's 3D!"

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Keith Cobby said:
Clearly members have a lot of fun organising their collections. Not the same with downloads/streaming is it!
Which folders do you keep them in?On the Desktop, in Documents, in the Cloud? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks