How do you organize and listen to your mp3 collection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, Jan 1, 2002.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I simply have all of my mp3s piled into one folder and I use winamp to listen to them. I have often thought about going to to use other programs to listen to my mp3s which seperate them according to recording artist and and album etc, but I realized that most of my mp3s don't have proper ID3 tags, or there is some misplaced information etc. Therefore since I have over 1800 mp3s the thought of going through and correcting all the ID3 tags seemed just awful.

Is there any other ways to get greater playlist control when still using winamp?

Aaron

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Mine are organised with folders

ArtistAlbumTrack# Track Title

Each Album folder has an .m3u playlist for the songs in that album.

The trick is to get the organisation working when you rip the CDs. I use Exact Audio Copy and Lame. The tags I prefer to do separately using TagScanner, and WinAmp for the 3v2 tags if any of the names are long enough to need them.

TagScanner is one of many freeware utilities available that let's you create the ID3 tags from the file name.

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

My organisation is like that too - artist name is one folder, album name is a subfolder and that subfolder holds the actual tracks.

Exact Audio Copy can sort like that directly when ripping, so you can get it sorted without lifting a finger.

I did have some MP3's that were unsorted but have since gone through them to sort it all.

I don't bother with ID3 tags, the naming scheme above is enough for me.

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

So is Winamp the best player?

I used to use Real JukeBox Plus which had an automatic file renaming feature to organise MP3s into atristalbumtrack title. I found it to be a bit sluggish in Windows 2000, and I don't think its MP3 encoder is the greatest.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've tried other apps but WinAmp I like the best. I hate anything to do with Real. Their software stinks.

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Interesting idea of splitting into folders, but can Winamp say, randomize between different directories? This would be the clincher for me on that idea, cause when I'm at my computer I just want to listen to music and different artists at the same time.

7. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I like to use Media Jukebox for MP3 playback...it isn't free though, but is not expensive. I had a hard time trying to see all of the WinAmp functions, and the playlist and organization features of Media Jukebox are very nice in comparison.
    http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/
    I also use EAC for ripping and LAMEB for encoding the files later. As long as the FreeDB info is gathered when the CD is inserted, the rest is all automatic with the proper settings for the two programs.

8. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I use Apple's iTunes for both ripping and playback, and it's got a really nice little browser feature that works with the ID3 tags. Of course, if you're on a PC, you'd have to go out and pick up a Mac to use it...but trust me, that'd be a good decision anyway! [​IMG]
    Anyway, the browser built into iTunes has three collums, one each for Genre, Artist, and Album, and you can use any combination of the three to pare down what's in your current playlist. Works quite nicely.

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Paul: winamp can randomize between folders just fine. You can just "add folder" and it can add every song in every subfolder of that folder to your playlist, and then you can randomize and sort the files in winamp as much as you like.

10. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Well, I've installed Winamp and it's certainly more efficient than Real JukeBox at handling large playlists (it can scroll through the list quickly without the screen taking ages to update). I may be imagining this but the quality if playback seems better too.

I do miss the "explorer" style interface of RJB where you could view your MP3s by artist or album or genre etc.

11. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Thanks Kimmo, I'll try that!

12. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I recently made some MP3s from my CDs using WinAmp. Now I'd like to burn these MP3s onto CD, so that I can put two albums on one CD for continuous listening.

Anyway, here's my question. My Adaptec EazyCD program differentiates between "Music" and "Data" CD burning. The difference between these two methods seems to be the amount of data I can burn on the CD. The Data option allows for more MP3s. Is there a "real" or true difference between these two "modes"?

13. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I don't think you have the choice. MP3s are data so you will only be able to use the data mode.

14. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Well, as I say,

15. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Samuel,

I believe "Music" mode converts the .mp3's to .wav files, then burns them to disc as a standard audio CD which can be played in any CD player.

The "Data" setting copies the files to CD exactly as they are on the hard drive (no translation), therefore they can only be played by a device which is able to read .mp3's (your PC, some DVD players, some car CD players, etc.)

Music = 74 or 80 minutes of music, can be played almost anywhere

Data = 650 or 700 MB of data

Hope this helps,

-Brett.

16. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

I use MusicMatch Jukebox to play and organize my .wavs, and EAC to rip. I don't compress them with MP3 or anything else, choosing instead to simply add hard disk space as my collection grows. I keep all of my music on a separate networked PC and use the HTPC to play it back. EAC allows you to set a file-naming convention (track title_artist_CD title_track number_) and Musicmatch has a great Supertag feature that will generate tags from the file names.

One thing I haven't figured out yet: I'd like to be able to play .wavs in PowerDVD to take advantage of its Dolby Prologic II decoding (I have a Delta 410 multi-channel soundcard running to the 5.1 inputs on my receiver), but I haven't been able to figure out how to access my networked files from within PowerDVD. It sees all of the files on the local PC, but not the networked files. I'm using Windows XP.

Also, is there any way to make PowerDVD see the track tags?

17. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

sam,

burn one disc with data mode and the other in music mode, and you will see that only the data mode will actually put MP3s on the disc. The "music" mode will end up being just like a music cd.