1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you manage your CD System?

Discussion in 'Music' started by CalvinC, Nov 30, 2004.

1. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to figure out how to handle my cd collection, I currently have 697 cd's in two sony jukeboxes, one 400 and one 300 units. I use cd trustee to keep track of my collection which will allow me to identify which unit and slot a cd or song is in. I print out hard copies of these reports.
    I have seen the escient systems that control the sony units and allow you to use your tv to view sond and/or cd titles. Yamaha has it music cast sytem that allow you to copy your cd to its hard drive. Both are pricey. Has anyone used either of these systems? Can you comment? What about other systems or ways to locate and play cd or individual songs.
    I have thought about getting a 40gig ipod and connecting it to my system. What I really want is a way to locate and songs or cd's quickly and play them. Your ideas and comments are appreciated!

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

You have a number of options.

One would be to use a PC as a music server, in combination with a wired/wireless media device that you could control with a remote. You could, for example, rip your CD collection to AAC format and use a device like the Roku Soundbridge to remotely access your collection and to output sound to your stereo rig. Or, you could rip your collection and access it using one of a number of "front end" programs, and control it remotely using a Palm-type device.

Over at AVS Forum, there is an area devoted to HTPCs wherein many of these types of setups are discussed ad nauseum.

Personally, I use the PC server/Roku combination to remotely control iTunes and I like the setup very much.

3. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply! One more question, how do you like the sound with your setup?

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Calvin:

I like the sound very much.

I have several thousand AAC files ripped at 224kbps and stored on a hard drive. The Roku Soundbridge can be configured wirelessly or wired (my home is wired, so I use it that way), and will directly access iTunes. The Roku unit displays the track information on its front panel. The sound is output to an A/V receiver, and it sounds great.

There is another, similar device called the Squeezebox, but I chose the Roku because of its integration w/ iTunes and compatability with AAC files (I'm an iPod user).

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Calvin
    We have similiar set ups.
    I also have 2 Sony Jukeboxes a 300 and a 200 but I went about it differently.
    I was tempted by the escient system but didn't think it was worth the money. The other systems lower the quality or cost $$$. At least in my opinion.

Basically I started out with all the CDs in the changers.
    I used Roxio CD Creator - classic creator (I think that's what they call it) to copy the cd and add text to each. Now artist and song title comes up and I don't have to type it in!
    Since many CDs started out as albums and had a length of 45 minutes or so ....I started doubling up cds and filling the 80 minutes. Most artist I have more than 1 cd of, so it was no problem.
    I found that I did not want to hear the same song 6 times (being on the original cd, the hits package etc ....) so I removed duplicates when I burned the CD.
    I used the changers groups to classify the cds (50s, 60s, 70, 80s, 90s to..., Jazz, Blues, Mixed Cds) and found it pretty easy to find things that way.

I have way over 1000 CD worth of music now located in the 500 slots with empty slots for new ones.
    The only expense was the Roxio SW and blank CDs which are cheap.
    I have the originals back in the boxes for use in my car etc.

Hope this helps and email me if you questions etc.
    Grant

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

for my money, mp3 is the only way to go when you have a huge collection. i must have about 1000 cds by now. what i did was take my greatest hits (or ones i really like) and copy them to my hp de200c server -- which i love! it's easy to navigate, performs well, has good audio quality, quick response times, etc. my only complaint is that the hd isn't big enough -- and i only wish it was still supported. [​IMG]

so, next i tried the hp ew5000 wireless. i was *very* disappointed with the performance. connectivity was hit-or-miss, i couldn't create playlists unless i installed musicmatch (which i hate), etc. the only advantage was that it linked my pc's entire mp3 collection wirelessly with my stereo.

so i'm looking into other options...but my trusty de200c is holdin' me over.

7. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I suggest ripping your CDs to a computer using lossless compression. I have over 300 CDs ripped to a 160GB hard drive in the Windows Media Audio Lossless codec. I use Windows Media Player 9 to rip and automatically tag the tracks with song title, artist, album, composer, genre, length, release date, etc. I use the J. River Media Center player because it provides gapless playback between tracks (where audio on the original CD is continuous from one track to the next). My sound card is a Hoontech Soundtrack Audio DSP24 Value with optional digital I/O bracket, which provides bit-perfect output. The soundcard is connected via TOSLINK SPDIF to an Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver.

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

A good strategy is to rip everyone once to a lossless format, such as FLAC, WMA Lossless or Apple Lossless. You could also rip everyone once to WAV, but that's going to take some room. Either way, you can always transcode the lossless files later to whatever format you like (MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, or whatever comes down the pike).