how do you make hard-boiled eggs?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micah Cohen, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Simple question, huh? Yet, I am being driven nuts by different answers. I'm not even going to list the various ways people have answered this question for me -- none of which work the way people claim they work. (Is getting the perfect hard-boiled egg an Urban Legend on par with no-money-down real estate?)

All I want is a hard-boiled egg that sheds its shell without too much wrangling.

How do you do it?

MC

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Perfect hard boiled eggs:

Put eggs in a single layer in pot with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. As soon as water boils, turn off the heat and remove pan from burner. Let stand 15 minutes. Rinse in very cold water (or dip in ice water bath) to stop cooking. Crack and peel.

Some people add a teaspoon of vinegar to keep the yolks from turning green, but I don't know if that works.

3. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Bring a pot of water to a boil.

Stick in your eggs for no more than 12 mins.

Drain pot of water.

Fill pot with ice and cold water and leave for 5-10 mins.

Eggs should peel off very easily. [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Rafael.

4. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

I bring the water to a heavy boil, put the eggs in and when the water comes to a boil again (the cold eggs initially bring down the water temp) I take the pot off the burner and cover it. Then I let them sit, covered in the pot, for about 20-25 minutes. Then to peel them I give them a light tap all around the middle cracking the shell, at that point the shell usually comes off in two pieces.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I do the eggs in cold water method, I was always under the impression that they had a greater chance of cracking if you drop a cold egg in hot h20

6. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

See? Not so simple.

Green yolks, according to a scientific cookbook I just read ("How To Read A French Fry"), mean that the yolk is overcooked.

Meanwhile, I can't seem to get eggs INTO PRE-BOILED WATER without cracking them open; after all, shells are porous, heated air expands quickly, and, as they say in comic books, CRA-ACK! (Sorry Philip, we posted at the same moment.)

And the eggs I just cooked "the first way," above (cold water brought to boil with eggs in it, sit 15 mins, ice bath), the shells wouldn't come off without taking half the egg with them.

Any other comers?

How can this be so complex? It's JUST AN EGG!

MC

7. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

This is how I do it as well. Works brilliantly, IMO.

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

According to Good Eats(great show), Jeff is correct.

Once they begin to boil, remove them from the heat or youll overcook them. This will make for softer and fluffier eggs.

Same with omlettes and scrambled eggs. Theyll continue to cook after u remove them from the heat. If they look done in the pan over the heat,theyre overcooked.

9. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

This has bugged me for awhile, and I've experimented with different methods. I've found Jeff's suggestion:

...to work most consistently, though not absolutely.

I've also read (during my research[​IMG]) that the fresher the egg, the more it is liable to be a poor peeler.

Jon

10. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I actually agree most with RafaelB:

However:

While you're waiting for the water to boil, put the eggs in a bowl and run gradually hotter tap water over them, to warm them up and get them ready for the temperature of the boiling water. This prevents them from cracking. I usually lower them into the boiling water with a ladle so they don't crack when hitting the bottom as well.

Then, I take the same bowl I used to warm them up and fill it with ice water. After about 12 minutes I spoon the eggs directly from the boiling water to the ice water. This necessary "shock" is what facilitates perfect peels every time.

11. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"And the eggs I just cooked "the first way," above (cold water brought to boil with eggs in it, sit 15 mins, ice bath), the shells wouldn't come off without taking half the egg with them.

Any other comers?

How can this be so complex? It's JUST AN EGG!"

It's obvious to me that god does not want you to have hard-boiled eggs. He probably knows something about your cholesterol level that you don't ....

[​IMG]

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    for me:

Put eggs in hot tap water while water boils. once water is boiling take off heat, turn heat to about a 4, place eggs in pot (off the heat), place back on... 15 minutes later, place eggs in cold water for a few minutes...

The cold water makes the egg inside shrink a bit, and thus pulling away from the membrane/shell

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

[​IMG]

Put in eggs... add measured amount of water... wait for beep... and you have hard, medium, or soft boiled eggs every time.

Follow that up with the Eggstractor and you could probably set a new egg eating record.

14. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I hate green/gray egg yolks and prefer soft-medium yolk, so I bought one of these a couple years ago. Great gadget:

http://www.boardandbasket.com/browse.cfm/4,1653.html

This covers how long to cook them. For peeling, I do as the others and put the boiled eggs straight from the hot water to an ice bath. I've had no problems doing it this way.

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Anyone own an eggstractor? I'm curious to see if they actually work.

16. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  17. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Growing up, I was always told to salt the water when I put the eggs in and then run under cold water for 5 minutes after the boiling period and I don't seem to have much trouble peeling them.

18. DougR

DougR Second Unit

I wait until Easter and get them FREE from Family members !![​IMG]

19. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Try using a needle to puncture the shell on the wide end, which has an air bubble.

I don't bother bathing the eggs in cold water for too long. Just dunk the hot water, fill with cold, throw in some ice cubes, swish a bit, dunk again. Rattle the eggs inside the pan until the shells are cracked all over. (Of course, that won't work if you're serving them in the shell.)

20. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    With the Eggsact timer you don't need to wait for water to boil. Just put the timer in with the eggs, fill with water to cover and remove when the timer indicates the type of yolk you want.