how do you listen to music?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Santos, May 21, 2002.

1. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

not really sure where this topic goes, or if it has already been rehashed before, if so i apologize:

how do you listen to music?

for me, i don't know if it's because my brain can't work that way, but i can't seem to do both, meaning i can't enjoy music and enjoy how it sounds at the same time.

if i like something enough, then usually i would consider it awesome no matter what speakers it's coming out of. well, to a certain extent. obviously i'd much rather listen to music on my home system than through headphones at the gym. but when i do listen at home, and i'm enjoying the music, i usually get so caught up in it that i end up not paying attention to little subtleties. i just love the notes i'm hearing so much i forget about all the little technicalities. same goes the other way. if i'm listening for imaging, spaciousness, instrument localization, etc., i usually focus so much on that i can't seem to actually pay attention to the music itself, and don't enjoy it as much.

is there something wrong with me? why can't i do both things at once? i really would like to, is there some sort of class i can take at the local community college or something? it makes me depressed sometimes, that i can't enjoy how good the music is and how good it sounds at the same time.

another thing, when you buy a new cd/record/whatever, what do you listen for first, the music or the sound quality of the recording? am i just kidding myself, am i wasting all this money on nice stereo equipment if i can't appreciate it unless i'm specifically listening for it?

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

3. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I admit freely to being no expert on sound quality. I've only had a half-way decent sound system for a short while. At least half of my music listening is done at work on headphones played on the computer, which I is why I have the CD versions of non-classical titles I also have on high-res. So, sound quality isn't that big of a deal, but I do always try to make sure the best digital recordings of every album I own (ie, high-res and remastered CDs).
    As for the music itself, it all depends on what I'm listening to. Some things I consider more "background" music- Robert Fripp's Soundscapes, Mahler (who the hell can understand what's going on with that stuff?), some of the more weird jazz stuff (Coleman, Zorn, later Coltrane, later Miles).
    If I get a new high-res disc of music I'm already familiar with, than I will focus on the sound quality, mainly to see if the money I spent was worth it. [​IMG]
    NP: Peter Gabriel, So, CD, which I'm trying to listen to more for sound quality because it's a new remastered version, but gosh-darnit those grooves and hooks are just too catchy to ignore.