how do you listen to music on tv?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ted Lee, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i guess this is as good a place as any.

lately i've been watching a lot of "sessions at west 54th", so i started wondering how i should be listening to regular music (excluding hi-res stuff).

for the most part, i'm using pro-logic (my receiver doesn't have dd/dts) - but i sometimes feel it anchors too much to the center. but then again, the singer should be coming from the center...right?

then when i kick it into stereo, the sound is (obviously) more full, but then i lose that center anchor that i sorta like. however, it is music we're listening to - so it should be stereo...right?

so, i'm just curious...how do you all listen?

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

When I had digital cable, I used to check out MTV-X every now and again. I would put my receiver on stereo (usually on pro-logic for TV).

3. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

I watch Sessions, ACL and Soundstage via DTV. Sometimes the guide says that Soundstage is in Dolby Surround (pro-logic), but I always listen in stereo. DPL seems to put to much into the center, like you say. I feed my receiver digital audio from the sat, so I use a mode (Sony - AFD) that engages the subwoofer, as most TV audio is a little bass shy.
    Sounds pretty good most of the time.
    Tom