What's new

How do you listen to CD's? (1 Viewer)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I was wondering how people listened to CD music. It seems like there are a number of methods to do so:

1) Digital feed from DVD/CD transport to reciever
2) Analog feed from DVD player to reciever
3) Analog feed from dedicated CD player to reciever (or preamp or integrated amp)

Then there is the whole question of DPLII/DTS Neo DSP processing.

Personally I am leaning more towards choice 2, running in analog direct mode (no DSP). It seems kind of strange to me but it seems like my DVD player (Sony DVP-NC655P) does a better job of the A/D conversion than my reciever (Sony DA4ES).

Mark

DanaA

Screenwriter
I run straight analog via a dedicated CD player to my pre-pro. The reason: It sounds better with my equipment. Other than the original comparing, I've always done it this way, other than occasionally to use the pre-pros HDCD processing. I guess use my Denon 1600 DVD player to play CD's using that format, but I haven't tried that yet. Hey, you gave me something to try out today. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I also run straight analog, in my case from the 5.1 analog outputs of my Sony 555ES SACD/CD player to the 5.1 analog inputs of my Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver. This bypasses all processing in the receiver. I use this signal path for redbook CD, two-channel SACD and multi-channel SACD playback. I find the DACs in the Sony CD player superior to those in the Elite receiver for redbook CD playback.

I did connect the digital optical input/output, but only for comparison and for those few DTS 5.1 CDs that I own (I already had the cable from my old CD player, so there was no expense to do this).

Leo

Second Unit
I normally listen to the 2 Channel out on my Sony SCD-C222ES to a Grado RA-1 headphone amp using Grado SR-225 headphones. I listen for about an hour to 2 hours on any given day.

When I want to share the music is listen to my CD/SACD's on the Pioneer Elite DV-45A in my home theater setup. Sometimes I'll do multi-channel (depends on the recording) but most times it's just play 2 channel via the Marantz MA500 and PSB Image 4T's.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I also run a straight analog feed from my Sony C555ES. It has a better DAC than my receiver, I guess. For whatever reason, it sounds better on my system

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
CDP to pre/pro via digital coax. DSP on my Lexicon for simulated surround. I am now a FIRM believer, after years of shunning DSP! It just took some time to set it up *right*. 2 channel stereo is plain "flat" on my system.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I have a few options going here. For multi disc play, I use a Yamaha CDC-685 and I have it hooked up both analog and optical to an Elite 45TX. Now, it seems to me that although not as a pure of a sound when using the optical, it is louder, which works great for parties and cranking music throughout the house using the 685. I've alos done some A/B testing via analog hookups between the 685 and a Denon DCM-370, and actually preferred the sound of the 685. Now, for critical listening, I also have an Elite DV45A hooked up every way possible (5.1 ch, digital, analog) to the 45TX, and use the DF45A for some sweet CD sound. It's all about options...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Analog from 14 year old Sony CD player. Source Direct on my receiver with subwoofer crossed over at 50 hz.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Personally I am leaning more towards choice 2, running in analog direct mode (no DSP). It seems kind of strange to me but it seems like my DVD player (Sony DVP-NC655P) does a better job of the A/D conversion than my reciever (Sony DA4ES).
That's not odd, and it could be something as simple as the output from the player's DAC circuitry being set a couple of dB higher than that of the receiver's. Not all components are calibrated the same, unfortunately.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
When my CD player's DACs were superior to my receiver's DACs I ran analog into the receiver. Now that I've upgraded to the NAD T762 I use an optical out from my Sony CD Changer (about 3 years old) to my T762.

Also, my T762 does HDCD decoding (player does not) and bass management is set to 60hz (all other tone and DSP controls are set to off).

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Now, for critical listening, I also have an Elite DV45A hooked up every way possible (5.1 ch, digital, analog) to the 45TX, and use the DF45A for some sweet CD sound. It's all about options...
Pioneer DV-45a users should be aware that if they have the player 'Audio Out' option set to '5.1 channel' in Initial Settings, then any speaker size and level settings they've done are applied not only to the analog 6-channel outs, but *also* to the dedicated 2-channel analog outs. That means loss of bass if you've set the main speakers to 'small'.

To get proper output from the dedicated 2-ch analog, you have to set the Audio Output to '2 channel'. Otherwise the only way to get proper output is to listen via the 2 fronts and the sub out of the 6-channel panel, and use your receiver's 'multichannel' input.

I wonder how many other brands/players also are designed this way?

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a Pioneer DV-434 with Modwright Level 1 Transport modification and a digital connection to a Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC. Then I use analog interconnects to my stereo preamp.

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
Cambridge Audio D500SE straight analog to the Simaudio Moon I-5 to a pair of ESS Performance series speakers. Soon to be Totem Forests :)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Hey Carlo, are you CarloM from AVS?

Anyhow, I guess I'm probably in the minority but I just use my dvd player to play cds, it's hooked up through my digital coax...

It's odd to find how many titles that I have which are HDCD and not labelled as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks