What's new

How do you like your Dahlquist speakers (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
"No way! What was that?!"
Philip, I know exactly what you mean man, the bass on the QX10's is so clean and so powerfull (and I'm only using 8 watts on these guys). They make me double take all the time, and even though I KNOW there is sub in my room I can't believe it when I listen to these guys, they are fantastic!

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Try playing Telarc's COPELAND Fanfare for the Modern Man...put on your seat belt, this piece will make you a Dahlquist believer!!!! oh man do these QX10's make this sound sooooo real!

Alex
(smiling).

DennisG

Grip
Well, I am going for it. QX-10 & matching center will be coming my way soon. To bad I called marc to late today for him to get it out today. I really wanted them for the weekend to mess with. I will be kicking myself all weekend for putting it off. Damn work got to busy for me to call. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
DennisG,
I'm putting my QX6's up for sale in the 'Hardware For Sale'
area, I'm sure the QX6's would make great surrounds! ;)

Abhinandan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
Add me to the list of satisfied dahlquist owners! I have 3 QX6s across the front, QX4s for surrounds and a QX20R for rear surround. The setup is simply awesome!! I can even go to the extent of saying that my setup is as good as or ever better than any local theater!
QX6s are simply awesome. The detail is pretty sweet and inspiring. They are really addictive! Forget QX6s, I was amazed by the little QX4s as well. 3 pairs of QX4s along with a good sub like VTF-2 would definitely make a darn good hometheater for small-medium sized rooms.
You can't go wrong with dahlquists. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks to Marc for all the help and a very good deal!

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't it great when you can finally get a great deal on great HI-FI, HT stuff without breaking the bank or taking out a 2nd mortgage....!!! (smile!!!)...

FOR $1500- $2000 you can get a 6.1 setup that is simply AWESOME for both HT and 2CH video/audio etc!!

Alex!

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
ok my 0.02cents...
i listened to some QX-6s on my system...for over like 50 hours or so...and well, let me just quote:

lots of bass
is an UNDERSTATEMENT. i have a HK AVR520, Denon DCM380 CDP, via both RS Gold Dig Coax and Analog, with Transparent Wave 200 speaker cables. While the upper half might have been nice, the bottom end was like overwhelming for me in my system. I guess if you classify the brits in one category for liking politeness and the north americans for liking lively punchy music, well let me tell yu, there is punch. Unfortunately, more punch than i would ever need. Now i am definitely skewed on one side (i don't give a rat's @$$ about bass to be quite honest, but i do like clear and flat mids and treble. While what i did hear in those areas was pretty good, i could never get over the perceived (in my head) emphasis on the lower end. so, if the sounds of people going past me in their cars is any indication, the bass will be excellent for most of the populace (gross generality of course :) ). I have decided to stick with some Acoustic Energy 3s which have an even emphasis throughout. With the Dahls, i often had to lower the bass controls about 50% for my personal tastes.

So to summarize my experience, great mid and upper end for the price (esp. compared to NHT, Phase Techs), with an overwhelming lower end. be prepared to be bounced out of your seat. heck, you won't even need a subwoofer with this thing. but then again, i wish everything was just 5.0
and NOT x.1 .

Paul - man, and here i thought you were a huge dahl fan and anything contrary would be blasphemy!

- asim

.Joseph.K

Auditioning
About to purchase System 4. Has anyone heard the QX8 - the smallest tower?

Marc @ audioshop is indeed knowledgable and a pleasure to deal with.

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dennis,

My intent is not to hijack your thread, but given the subject (and my own interest in Dahlquist) I wonder if anyone who has responded to this thread has auditioned the QX4s? How do they compare with comparably priced/sized 5.1 sub-sat systems you've heard? (getting ahead of myself -- I am referring to the Dahluquist 5.1 package Marc sells that includes the QX4s as the fronts and rears, plus a CC and sub. I am in the market for a 5.1 sub-sat system under $1000. USD and the Dahl's have piqued my interest.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Asim,

I do not look for the BASS you hear like the car going down the street, with the hip hop crap thats out there....I absolutley despise that BASS....noooo!!

When you hear, not necessasirly feel, like in HT, the muscial sounding bass of a good bass player in a jazz band, those bass notes so rich in harmonics and sound so life like...thats just awesome....having a speaker be able to blow candles out and create minor earthquakes is not the kind of bass you might be thinking we all dwell on with Dahlquists...

Its that the dahlquists produce such wonderfully accurate sounding bass along with accurate mids and highs, not the best but very good for the modest investment.

Most of us 'purists' have NO bass or treble controls, we take it FLAT! If you were getting an overemphasis of Bass with Dahls's or any other speaker, I would question first your speaker placement in relation to the walls and corners of you listening room...a few inches can make a speaker sound like crap on the low end....

Debbie, I dont think you can go wrong if thats your budget and you have a space, room or just dont want larger speakers ..this system looks great...the sub you pick will help provide the accurate bass your looking for if its for HT. You will have to move it around to get it to work well..like we all do to some extent.

Best of Luck!
Alex

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Its that the dahlquists produce such wonderfully accurate sounding bass along with accurate mids and highs, not the best but very good for the modest investment.
Completely agree except for the last part :D I haven't found a speaker that isn't powered that can match the QX10 for deep CLEAN output, unbelievable.

I didn't find the 6's had THAT much bass, they were NOT punchy at all actually I found them to be very lacking for rock music, especially when played loud they were plain and boring. The QX10's on the other hand are very capable and give much more definition to rock music.

The 6's do go low for the size and are clean, but not ample.

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
I do not look for the BASS you hear like the car going down the street, with the hip hop crap thats out there....I absolutley despise that BASS....noooo!!
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you did. But the replication of low end frequencies, especially of the (pardon my musical ignorance of percussion) drum that you play with your foot, that KILLS my head (even at lower SPL levels, that's why i don't go to many rock concerts). perhaps this sounds weird (perhaps i am weird), but i just can't live with anything that emphasizes that. Now during movies, i can tolerate more because i guess there is more "noise" during those scenes, but in music i cant. And of course, not to point the complete finger at the Dahl's, perhaps there was a "weaker bass" link in my system. As far as positioning goes, i tried various things (they were far from the side walls and even the front walls, i have lots of carpetting, wall coverings, etc, no wood floors) but noone worked.

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
James,
i think your 10s would kill me. Literally. I would probably suffer from a cereberovascular incident.

:angry:

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Asim, I still think the Dahls are great speakers, they just don't suit my listening, thats it. :)

BTW, my dahls are up for sale in the hardware section. :)

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis, did you get your speakers yet? I'd love to hear what you think of them.

Leon

DennisG

Grip
Because of bad weather in this area, I had to go pick them up late yesterday at fedex. I listened to them for a short period of time late last night. I will post some impressions either tonight or tomorrow when i get to sit down with them some more tonight.

DennisG

Grip
Well, I got to listen to the QX-10's for a couple of hours last night. Still messing around with placement and crossover settings on my Outlaw 950. I am actually setting the speakers to large at this time.

Background first, the QX10's are replacing Definitive Technology BP8's.

Initially impressions, I was immediately able to hear more detail out of the Dahl's. High's seem to be much cleaner then the DT's. My DT's really lacked in the midrange which is now there with the Dahl's. So it is safe to say that the added midrange has brought a lot more detail to the entire sounds in my HT. As for base, the QX-10 has tight accurate base. Not boomy at all. I am really not use to this at all. It almost seems lacking to me because I am use to my DT's set to small with 40mhz crossover set sending most of the base to my 15" DT sub. This sub is powerful and tends to sound boomy. Fine with me for Home Theater but not accurate enough for music. I think the base on the Dahl's will pick up some with break in. I just think I am not use to the tight accurate base.

Overall, I fully expect them to sound better with time. Marc tells me after about 40 hours of break in, the highs will sound even better and I am sure that the midrange and bass will also. Honestly, they are already better then my DT's.

As for the QX-60 center, I haven't watched any movies yet but initial impressions watching just regular TV on DPLII is that there is again more detail in the overall sound of this speaker compared to my DT C2 center. I will watch some movies this weekend and try to get a better overall impression of this center.

I will post more impressions as I get a chance to listen to the speakers some more. Hope this helps. If anyone has any recommendations or comments, please post them.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis,

I have a set and I had the same first impressions....about the bass, I found I had to move them a few inches all around to find the right spot in my room to get the best response from them on the low end.

I moved the speakers closer to the back wall a few inches at a time until they started to sound 'boomy' and then back out, until the sound ok to me...

I also found moving them side to side can also help or hurt their performance. You have to experiment.

Pick out a few cd's that have good bass passages on them, like: the new Nora Jones album, several cuts have really good bass passages that will really show what these speakers can do...also Aaron Coplands Telarc recording of "Fanfare for the Comman Man" will absolutley blow you away...what an awesome technological marvel these dahl's are...

I also find that when I listen to a DVD, a DTS or a 5.1 recording, like Diana Krall's "Live In Paris" I have to almost turn off the subwoofer because of it being soooo boomy...

Its amazing, crap still sounds like carp, and good stuff will sound very good....I find myself more often than not listening to music and not thinking about how well the speakers are doing their job.....

After calibrating them with the Radio Shack SPL and watching the first 5 minutes of Toy Story 2....at -26 I am a firm believer about these QX10's!! Simply awesome!

You should start smiling more and more as they indeed get more play time on them!

Alex

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Dennis, congrats on the speakers. If your used to boomy bass the QX10's "could" sound weak at first, which is VERY unfortunate. The Bass on the QX10's seem sooooo tight and clean. What will really surprise you is the deep powerfull bass note you'll hear in some jazz song that will blow you away, because you would have never heard it before.

I actually tried out this new radio station in town, it was rap/r&b not something I listen to, but man was the bass tight on that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks