How do you like RCA 38-inch 16X9 direct view TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tjia, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    To anyone who had been looking at this RCA HDTV or purchased it, how do you like it?
    There was a color purity problem in the previous model and I believed they had corrected it. I am contempating in buying it and want to see what are the opinions out there.
    Thanks,
    Gary

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

If I recall this set has reviewed well. My next question is why you are considering a direct view widescreen? I'm not challenging you, but am curious as to your decision criteria. This has been recently discussed in another thread, but I think you owe it to yourself to also check out Toshiba's 40H80 16:9 RPTV. It produces a fantastic image (when properly calibrated) but offers a slightly bigger screen and thinner profile than the RCA you are considering. It produces very accurate colors and, when calibrated, tracks grayscale very well (but not in the same league as direct view's tend towards). The downside is you will have to work a little harder to calibrate focus and convergence, but once you're done only future touch ups are required.
    Direct view widescreens will allow greater light output and, depending on the model, better black level stability. They will generally be more forgiving on less-than-ideal sources. But they are also limited in their resolution thanks to the shadow mask inherent in their design, and edge geometry is more difficult to correct (it's very tough to engineer a flat CRT). You will also pay a fair amount more compared an RPTV.
    Just something to consider.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia Stunt Coordinator

Jay,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I will check out the Toshiba. I had always prefered a direct view over RPTV as there is less calibration maintenance over the life of the TV. In addition, the TV will be in a rather well-lit room with more width than depth and thus would not be ideal viewing for RPTV from the side. My room is 24' X 15' and the TV has to be placed along the 24' wall.
    This RCA HDTV actually does not have a flat screen.
    Gary