What's new

How do you like dem apples? (1 Viewer)

Steve Lowe

Auditioning
Could someone please explain the origin of this phrase to me? I'm British and am alwys heaing the phrase in films, but it's obviously an American thing. I've tried searching on the 'net but can't find an answer anywhere. Can someone help it's driving me nuts with curiosity.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I found this on a web search,

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES---A comparison to.---(1930's). The American Dream. Grandma says to Mrs. Barker: "They wanted satisfaction; they wanted their money back." Mrs. Barker responds: "My, my, my." Grandma says: "How do you like them apples."

Not that I can make sense of it though....

Also found this,
“How do you like them apples?” means “So there! What do you have to say now? What are you going to do about it? Used ironically since the late 1920s…” according to the “Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings” by Gregory Y. Titelman.

Yes, I am bored tonight....

Steve Lowe

Auditioning
Now that's the kind of thing I was looking for Bob. It's meaning was always pretty clear to me, it was the origin that interested me. I thought it sounded like a litarary reference, perhaps Mark Twain or something similar(I haven't read Twain).
Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but what is "The American Dream", I can't find it on IMDB, is it a film, a book?
My oh my one question leads to another, well how do you like dem apples?:D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Asking what the American Dream is like asked about the spirit of the British empire, it isn't one thing and definitely isn't the same for all. Closest nutshell explanation would be 'rags to riches', but again that's just an aspect of it.

I can guarantee no one is this forum or online will be able to satisfactorily define the American Dream for you, it's too subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks