How do you know your getting <20Hz Bass

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by farnamT, Jan 27, 2002.

1. farnamT

farnamT Agent

Since we cannot hear 20Hz and below how do you know your subs actually producing it. I have the earthquake Super Nova MKIII; when i feed it a say 17Hz Sine wave signal, the drivers make huge excursions and the box vibrates VISIBILY! That vibration which is almost like a messager gets transfered to my weak floor and you can feel it on the floor. However, is it really producing 17HZ or just transfering its engergy to the floor.

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I suppose you could get a disc with test tones and use a Radio Shack SPL meter to measure if you get any output from those subsonic tones. The SPL meter doesn't have the same limitations as the human ear. If you get a reading on those tones below 20Hz, you can rest assured that the sub is reproducing them.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

We can hear under 20hz fine...that's an old myth.

At some point the debate will turn into a hair splitter between what constitutes *hearing* and what constitutes *feeling*. But I think the important part is we do perceive the sound in some manner. As the frequency drops under 125hz or so....our hearing sensitivity rolls off rapidly. So the volume of the extreme low freuquencies must be rather loud for us to *perceive* it.

TV