How do you know you need to replace to speakers other than the obvious?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DustinLC, Aug 18, 2005.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

How does speakers age. What happen to them over time and how can you tell if there's something wrong other than the obvious stuff like hiss, static and completely out.

My set from about 7 years ago are still working but it just seem not like I remember them. How would I know. what are some things I can do to check the receiver and the speakers? How long do receiver and speakers last anyway?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Speakers more or less don't hiss. Hiss comes from something else in your system. "Static" could indicate a blown driver, and this is not always entirely obvious, depending on the driver. I recently had a speaker in my car go, and you couldn't tell until you turned it up, then it becomes painfully obvious that the voice coil is fried.

Receiver and speakers can last a LONG time. My dad has an old stereo Pioneer receiver in his garage that is older than I am, and it still works fine. Speakers, treated well, generally last a long time as well. If they don't sound bad, they are probably fine.

3. John S

John S Producer

When you are no longer happy with their performance, which it sounds like you aren't these days???

4. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

That is the wrong question.
    How long do you need to wait between upgrades so your wife doesn't kill you?

Better question.

"But honey, it can get down to 16 Hz, and a tube is very artistic looking."

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I just put my 15yr old Ohm FRS-5's back in my Living room powered by my older Yamaha 795a. Wow. forgot how good those speakers sound and image! Just cause they old- does not mean they are out!.

http://www.ohmspeaker.com/store_item...D=819122483660

I just noticed that they state on the site they are from mid 1990's..but I know I bought them in either 90/91 when I was in an appartment! Just incase y'all were wonderin on that one.