What's new

How do you know when to pick your corn? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've grown lots of fruit and vegetables over the years, but this year is a first for me. I planted a line of corn along my back fence, which faces roughly south. We had late frosts here in southern Idaho so the planting was delayed until about May.

I can tell when an apricot or an apple is ripe. And you can measure when to pick grapes by waiting until the sugar content is 24 degrees brix. How the heck do you know when to pick the ears of corn? They are all covered up by the husk. If you pull off the husks to inspect the kernels, won't that screw things up? :confused:

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
You wait until the silk turns brown. If it is still "silky" then it is not ready yet.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Holy heck almost all my ears had the silk turn brown this week. Must be harvest time! :laugh: I guess starting tomorrow I'm in corn city for about 2 weeks.

Here's Susie walking past my corn crop. Notice the cabernet savignon is getting ripe now too.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We have had some of the BEST sweet corn this summer here in the east. Mmmmmm!

Hope yours is tasty, Dennis. To be able to pick it and husk it as you are walking toward the pot of boiling water will only make it taste THAT much better! ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I have a nice tri-tip steak which I'll marinate and eat with some corn. Also local sourdough garlic bread - the kind with little pieces of fresh garlic baked into the dough. I figure I'll have two ears of fresh corn per day for the next two weeks. Maybe I'll open a bottle of local Sawtooth cab to complete the local flavor of the meal.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
On a more serious note if your stalks are getting a lot of sun then the corn actually is ripe for quite a while and it's more about what size nibblets you prefer (well, I tried to be serious).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is nothing like fresh corn on the cob. Man. I wish I could grow corn in my backyard. Unfortunately, I live too far North. The growing season for corn is not long enough up here.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
While it is good to say grace before eating your corn, but it doesn't need to be an amazing grace and you don't necessarily need to sing it either.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

That's right. I'd forgotten that you were one of those Presbyopians.

Well I picked two ears an hour before dinner time. They look good. I had to pick two early to make sure about my dinner plans. Right now the menu includes all 5 Idaho Food Groups:

- BBQ meat
- potatoes
- corn
- onions
- red wine

:laugh:

The biggest corn field maze in several hundred miles is about 4 miles from my home here. idahomaze.com - Home

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks