How do you know when it's too loud?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

As I said in another message, I'm afraid I blew 2 of my satelites when I put the volume up all the way for 1-2 seconds to see how loud it would go.

I would've though it would be able to support the amp's power since they are both rated at 100 WPC. I often turned my minisystems all the way up with no problem.

So, how do I know when to stop increasing the volume so the speakers don't get damaged?

Would better front speakers prevent this from hapening? Can this happen to the surround speakers (center and rear left/right) too since they are normally much weaker than the front left/right speakers?

Thanks

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

when all of a sudden it becomes silent is when it's too loud

3. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

if your amplifier was putting out 100 watts of clean power then there would be no problem.....however, distorted power even at a lower level can damage speakers

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

When listening,if you start to hear the music/movie begin to fall apart, or sound colored/distorted etc it is time to turn it down.

Never rely on specs. They mean a tiny bit more than nothing.

-rob

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Why push any system past its limits? What's the virtue in playing something "as loud as it can go"? Strive for accuracy, and semi-realistic volume levels. When it gets to the point of blowing out speakers, you've obviously gone too far.

6. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I just wanted to see how loud it could go for 1-2 seconds

7. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

You Know you're having fun when your ears start to bleed.

It's not all about noise music is to listen to not just make it so loud that your ears are ringing.

8. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

I told you not to get the satellite system. I had that same problem with mine. Did you smell a funny smell when you turned them up all the way. By the way do you like the receiver so far. Was it louder than your other system?

9. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I had to get the satelite system, the others would have been too expensive at the sony store and the front speakers you recommended don't seem to be available in canada.

And yes I love the receiver it's amazing and when I turned it all the way, it was only in 2 speaker mode (hadn't yet figures out how to enable pro logic) and even that was MUCH louder than my old minisystem.

Also yes it did smell kind of like electronics overheating when I had it loud, and the speakers still smell like that.

I put them in the back now since the 4 satelites are identical, they sound fine at low volumes but a mediam volumes there is distrotion in the speakers that overheated.

10. Brian_Tho

Ok heres the problem you overheated the voice coil. The amp went into clipping. It melted the insulation wait about 8 hours then check them again. They will work like new I bet. At least mine did. I had the same problem thats what I did, but I moved them to the back even though they played fine I didnt want to take any chances. Takes the stress off of them.

11. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I moved them back to the front to see and they play much weaker than the undamaged ones.

Should I tell sony what hapened or just pretend they were like that when I got them?

Thanks

12. Brian_Tho

Of course they play weaker wait 8 hours then check them. Also you do not have full stereo in the back only dsp and movie surround. Same with prologic its a weak sound that comes out the back.

13. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

It has been way more than 8 hours, they blew yesterday afternoon.

14. Brian_Tho

Ohhh. Your screwed! Sorry I wish the news were better. Play dumb when you take them back

15. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

So what should I tell them?

Should I just say "My rear speakers sound distorted at medium volume levels or higher, can you replace them?"

I did take the extended warranty so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

16. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

sacha,
    you wanna know when it is too loud?
    well, just fire a 12 gauge shotgun in your living room (i did once, blew my tv [​IMG] [​IMG] ) and THEN you DEFINITELY know what too loud means. my ears were ringing for almost 12 hours and the first two hours i nearly couldn't hear anything.
    best part of the story: since my tv was gone, i decided to upgrade to the *big picture* and have a front projector since then [​IMG] [​IMG]
    regards, holger

17. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

There is more likelyhood of blowing speakers with a 100W amp playing at 100W than with a 1000W amp playing at 100W. A speaker rated at 100W can be damaged with 50 watts of distorted power rather than 200W of clean power, so choose your amplification wisely.

18. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Personally, I have a potentially loud system playing in a very small room. My definition of "too loud" is when the sound becomes uncomfortable or oppressive...too much force behind it. There's a happy middle ground with any system where you can still enjoy the dynamics of the soundtrack without going too loud (hearing damage or speaker damage/wear) or too soft.

Of course, I also consider my neighbors, so I keep it at an enjoyable, but "neighbor-friendly" level.