What's new

How do you know that Component is better than S-video (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I just bought a Sony DVP-NC600B DVD player and hooked it up to my Sony 32FS13 TV via both the S-video and Component cables. When I toggle between the two, there is a slightly noticable color difference. The Component connection appears to make skintones more pink and less natural, whereas the S-video input has a more natural look. Now, dont get me wrong, theres not a huge difference. You have to toggle back and forth between the two in order to come to the conclusion that there even is a difference.
So my question is, I've been used to S-video for so long, is it my eyes that are playing tricks on me, or does a Component connection normally have a more pinkish hue? Thanks.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I did an A/B before with my venerable Tosh 2109. S-video is grainy and much softer. The component output is sharp indeed, no grainy stuff. Color seems a bit better for the latter but I think if u calibrated ur display device quite well, u'd be hard pressed to say a difference.
So how do u know? I know...I saw it.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Component is the way to go if you've got a progressive player and a set which will display it, since you can't output a progressive signal through S-Video. I have my RP-91 hooked up to my HD-ready set and the difference is noticeable, more in motion artifacts (or lessening thereof) than in actual color/sharpness.
YMMV

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Well, I just got done calibrating my color with Video Essentials, and I learned I didnt need to calibrate it, because it was good as it was. What I learned was there is significantly less color bleeding with component. The SMTP color bars looked a LOT better, there was almost no bleed between the colors in Component vs S-video. I watched another movie, and I guess I just wasnt used to more pure colors! :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am using both component and s-video on an 84" setup. Both cables are 20ft long, good quality, and from the same manufacturer. I notice with s-video, there is a very slight bleed around edges of objects that disappears with component. I would not have noticed unless I did an a-b. I also noticed that there were some minor colour differences, where s-video had slightly more contrast than component did (which was slightly lighter).
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike!!
Something else to keep in mind is that the service menu has DIFFERENT cut and drv settings for video4/component and everything else. I know this is something that will affect grey scale, and a novice shouln't touch them, but I found changing these settings made a huge difference over an already spectacular picture.
This is what the service manual recommends (and I prefer for OTA/VCR/cable/dish):
rdrv=31
bdrv=31
gdrv=31
rcut=7
bcut=7
gcut=7
The service manual recommends the same settings as above for the Video4 input (component), but I found the following made my picture MUCH better:
rdr4=10
bdr4=10
gdr4=10
rcu4=0
bcu4=0
gcu4=0
Also, I just saw another incredible upgrade when I threw out my $75 AudioQuest component video cable for a bettercables silver serpent (I AM NOT ENDORSING ANY TYPE OF CABLE HERE, I'M SURE THEY'RE ALL EXACTLY THE SAME AND MY LASIC SURGERY WAS JUST A HORRIBLE FAILURE).
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.....
------------------

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,
Component video, when calibrated properly, will always be better than S-Video due to the fact that DVD is mastered in component video. In order to view a DVD in S-Video the video signal has to go thru a bandwidth limiter which reduces the resolution of the picture. Keep in mind this will be noticeable when you do an A-B comparison of a properly calibrated display.
Hope this helps,
David Abrams
ISF Calibrationist
Precision Theater Consultants

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Component offers much more color resolution when compared to S-video - In the case of DVD, it gives you almost TWICE the color resolution (270 lines, compared to the 140 max that S-video can handle). Low color resolution is what causes the "color bleeding".
-Ryan Dinan
------------------
Link Removed

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jim Burns!!
Now that you've clarified it, you're right, my settings did in fact reduce the brightness and contrast. I'm not so sure they're reduced at equal levels though?? My comment about grey scale was stated because an ISF certified gent told me that the cut and drv settings were used to adjust the grey scale. I guess I assumed he was giving me accurate information since he had no reason not too. I thought about going back and experimenting further, but the picture is stunning as is and I'm happy!
------------------

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Its all about color resolution! Component is the only way of showing all 300 lines of color resoultion that DVDs are capable off. Your display quality and settings are the difference between noticing the improvement or not.
Regards
PS Color resolution is the thing that allows HTDV display units with less resolution than what real HTDV should have, to deliver impressive images anyway as long as it has the capability of showing all 900 lines of color resolution.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
John,
As I'm sure you know, not all ISF guys are created equal.
wink.gif

Jim Burns reputation preceeds him. Don't be fooled by the low number of posts. He really knows his stuff. :)

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
John,
As I'm sure you know, not all ISF guys are created equal.
wink.gif

Jim Burns reputation preceeds him. Don't be fooled by the low number of posts. He really knows his stuff. :)
Luis,
Where did you get your "300 lines of resolution" for DVD and "900 lines of resolution" for HDTV? Those are numbers that I am not familiar with. DVD is encoded as 480i and a progrssive scan player will yield 480 lines of resolution. not 300. HDTV is broadcast mostly as 1080i and no matter how you slice it, it doesn't add up to 900 lines.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Bill -
I don't know where Luis got those numbers
wink.gif

While ALL NTSC formats (VHS, DVD, LD, broadcast TV) have 480 scan lines of VERTICAL resolution, not all have the same HORIZONTAL resolution. DVD offers the most, with 540 lines of horizontal resolution - which equals about 720 "pixels" or "dots" across the screen width.
VHS has about 270 lines; LD with ~460; and broadcast TV around 330+.
Advertized "lines of resolution" is almost always talking about the maximum horizontal luminance detail. Color resolution is almost never mentioned. Typically, the color resolution offered by DVD is HALF the luminance resolution (540), which equals about 270 lines (360 dots across the screen). Color resolution doesnt need to be as high as the luminance, because the human eye isn't as sensitive to color changes as it is to light/dark changes.
In order to get the full 270 lines of color resolution from DVD, you NEED to use a COMPONENT connection. S-video and composite only have enough bandwidth to handle 120-140 lines of color resolution.
-Ryan Dinan
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by RyanDinan on October 03, 2001 at 01:24 PM]

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for reply Bill.
One more question for Jim Burns: are you planning a trip to Ohio any time soon? I'd love to sit down and watch / learn from a pro.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks