What's new

How do you know if you are a "fan" of a band? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I am a huge Pink Floyd fan. At least I thought I was. However, when people ask me who was in the band, I tell them I don't know. They say if I were a real fan I would know their names, the lyrics to the songs, and that I would know something about each band member. I really don't care to know such information, and this applies to all bands. Does this mean I am not really a fan of Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Rush, etc? I do know a few song titles and some lyrics, but not nearly all.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

that would be "fanboy". you enjoy it on your own level, so what they think is irrelevant. there is no need to conform to their definitions.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Admirer--one that likes the music enough not to change the radio station.
Fan--one that really likes the music and would pay money for a CD or concert ticket.
Fanatic--one that is devoted to the music, spends time researching the band, and buys a lot of band merchandise.
Fanboy--one who is obsessed with the band. Knows all the lyrics, cuts out magazine articles, runs geocity web pages, names their pet after the drummer, etc.

Let's just say that the levels go like this. Define them further if you want.

I think I'm no more than a fan for any band out there. I'm too lazy to be a fanboy or even a fanatic.

If it is a band, I'm impressed with myself if I even know the name of the lead singer. I also know the names of the keyboardist and the bass player then I get a little scared of myself.:b

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
To me, a fan is someone who will buy any new release from a group without hearing a track or two first. I'm that way about Yes! :D

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I'd say if you go out and buy a cd of the band then you're probably considered a fan, or was once a fan. Believe me, as you get older you'll notice alot of cds in your collection you no longer care to listen to.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
going by hunter's definitions, i'd say with a couple of bands, i'm a fanatic, but for most, i'm a fan.

even with my fave bands, i probably couldn't name all the members (maybe most...) and *definitely* don't know all the lyrics to all the songs.

it's not like i really care that much. i enjoy most bands for the music. not for their hobbies, not for what they like to eat in the morning and certainly not for their beliefs.

besides, who really cares what you are labeled? as long as you enjoy the music on your own terms, that's all that matters.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm not into non-musical info on bands I like, but if I'm really into a group, I am interested in their musical history, influences, etc.

I think if you have most of a band's albums, go to see them live (if applicable), and rank them amongst your favorites, then you're a fan.

Heck, I never liked that term for music, anyway. When someone says "fan," I think of sports. I'm a Giants fan, but have a hard time calling myself a King Crimson fan, even though I more than fit Hunter's description.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks