How do you know if an OTA STB will work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Hopkinson, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Joe Hopkinson

Joe Hopkinson Auditioning

I have heard there are some STB's you just plug in and get HDTV if you are close to a tower. How do you know if you are close enough for this to work? How do you get any info on this?
    I have Dish Network and I see some places on the net that sell a DIY package to get the HDTV through Dish Network. They have a 6000 box, extra dish, line switch, 75' of cabling and a self install kit for $485.00. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of installing it. It does seem to be my best option, but I just wanted some opinions from others.
    Thanks
    Joe

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

3. andyg

andyg Agent

A good test is seeing if analog UHF is receivable at your location. If the quality is decent(little snow, watchable picture and sound, but does not have to be perfect), then you most likely will be able to receive HDTV OTA. This is assuming you local stations are transmitting digitally, which the above web site will tell you.
    I live 40 miles from the towers. The analog UHF transmitter I tested with is located on the same tower as the digital transmitter. Analog UHF via a second to largest Rat Shack outdoor antenna located in my attic with a 13dB UHF amp gives me a very good picture. Most of the UHF stations have some ghosting and snow, but they are not bad with this setup. I am able to receive all the Boston, MA digital stations without a problem and with signal strength is in the 80's and 90's out of 100. Digital stations are less susceptible to mechanical and natural forces, so their transmitting range has a steep knee bend as related to receivable power.
    I would purchase a STB from a place where you can return it from. I bought mine from a local store with a return policy if the box did not work. My physical location is very hilly and I point my antenna directly at a 3 story condo. To my surprise the digital signal is receivable. Good luck....
    ---Andy Garabedian