How do you keep your speakers "kid safe"?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Daniel G, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Daniel G

Daniel G Extra

My wife and I are starting a family. Being a nut about my system, I am already thinking about keeping my 5.1 speaker setup kid safe.

TIA,

Dan.

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Be afraid.... Be very afraid! Kids and HT don’t play well together.

I’ve often considered boxing up and storing my equipment in the attic and getting a cheap HT-in-a-box setup till my kids get older. But, on the few occasions I still get to use my setup, I appreciate it, so it’s not going anywhere. I’ve known people to put up little fences and gates and etc to “kid-proof” their stuff, but that’s just not for me, aesthetically.

On the plus side, having both kids and AV equipment will provide you with numerous opportunities to teach your little ones the importance of “listening to mom and dad.” Why things like “NO!” and “STOP!” are important when they come from parents. Those terms are crucial for the kids to learn when your child wants to run into the street to chase a ball or is about to draw on a neighbors couch with a crayon or something. It’s also a wonderful opportunity for the parents to learn patience…..and just how far a parents’ love for their children really goes.

Now, to answer your real question:
    1.I did learn to use strong double-sided tape to keep the speaker grills on. This was a must after I found my kid dented in my tweeter.
    2.I placed one thin strip of tape across the rear port of my towers. It's not wide enough to impede the port's function, but is just enough to keep my kid from poking the foam port plugs into to cabinet itself and to keep them from stashing little toys and stuff in the speaker cabinet. Oh yeah. I had to perform surgery on my towers one sat morning. In addition to the “lost” port plug, I also found all sorts of figurines and toys inside my speaker. Did I mention how much I love my kids?
    3.I used Velcro to keep the glass doors on my electronics cabinet closed. Man….That cabinet is a kid magnet! I guess I can’t blame them. Pretty lights, buttons and, and the grown-ups are always in there. It is kind of fun. I think I’ll go play with my receiver after I finish this. The cabinet is black and the glass heavily tinted, so the Velcro “latch” is virtually unnoticeable.

Congrats on the decision to become parents and best of luck. All kidding aside, it’s a lot of fun.
    --Steve

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I think there was a thread like this before. There was some good/funny stuff in that thread.

Some kids are just not too interested in the stuff. I have never made a big deal about the setup with them around, and they have pretty much left it alone.

One thing though, they have NEVER seen the speakers or sub with the grills off, so they do not know what is underneath them.

By the way, my kids are 6 and 4.

4. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i'd say leaving the grills on while they are around would be one good way to do it. i don't have kids of my own yet, but my wife and i babysit friends kids everyonce and awhile and have done a few things. one thing i did was kinda mean, but it worked perfect. my friends little girl would not leave the tv alone, so i set it up that the next time she touched it, it would go from not so loud talking, to real loud white noise. i did it just for a second, but it horrified her and she never touched again. i've since moved away from that god-awful place called georgia, and have a new little girl we babysit who is just too cute to do something like that too, although it would work. she keeps wanting to "touch the button". i show her which ones she can push and don't even mention the ones she can't. she didn't care about any buttons til i did though. maybe just ignore your AV equipment as much as you can while the kids are present. good luck!

eric

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Five years ago when my youngest son was 2, he always crawled over to our mable stand where the receiver was but we never noticed him touching anything. Then one day, I turned the system on and found out he DID touch something... namely the volume control which was wide open.......... Didn't hurt anything but our ears but I can say he never touched it again... scared the sh** outta him.
    I began designing an entertainment system which put all the electronics above the big screen tv so there was no more knobs his little hand could touch.
    Placing electronics out of reach is #1 and then placing bookshelf speakers on solid and stable stands and keeping the grills on will help a lot....

6. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I keep my HT "kid-safe" by always wearing a condom! [​IMG]