How do you install a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jason Adams, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I'm a person thats well acquainted with the insides of a computer, but I have never gotten and installed an internal hard drive, and I dont know the first thing to do. Any help?

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Have you gone to your PC makers website for directions? I know HP/Compaq has step by step instructions.

Not knowing what you have, I just did a simple Yahoo search and found a ton of sites with info..I'm sure you'll find what you need.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=how...t&cop=mss&tab=

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Are you building a new computer from scratch, or are you adding another one? I just installed one a couple weeks ago for the first time, and it was pretty easy for the most part. Plug it in to the motherboard and the power supply, screw it in to the case, and then configure it to Windows, which was the most time-consuming part, because I got a 160GB hard drive. Microsoft says that Windows SP1 is configured to recognize hard drives that big, but it only showed up as 137GB. It took me an hour or two to figure out how to get it to full capacity (149GB), but the solution turned out to be pretty simple.

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Make sure the jumper on the back is properly set to either "Master" or "Slave". When 2 drives share an IDE cable, the primary drive is designated Master and the other is the Slave.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

pretty much any hd you buy will have install instructions.

in a nutshell, (assuming you're adding):

1. get the correct cable to add master/slave
    2. set your new hd to slave
    3. connect it up
    4. go into control panel / admin tools / computer mgmt (i think it's here) and format/mount the drive.

the last hd i installed took me about 10 minutes to intall. a while longer to format (it's a 160g).

go for it, you'll be surprised at how easy it is.

6. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams
    Thanks. I'm upgrading from an old Dell hard drive, which is very tiny. 3 gigs to be exact. [​IMG]

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

3g? wow, i think my os takes up 3g. [​IMG]

btw, how old is this pc? iirc, some older bios cannot accept really big hd's. they'll only "read" up to a certain amount.

8. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams
    From '98. I'm going to put something modest like 60 gigs.

9. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Make sure your BIOS correctly recognizes the new drive. Old computers do not necessarily support modern large hard drives, but there might be a BIOS update available that you can download to update the BIOS flash yourself.

10. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

With that old motherboard, your going to most likely have to partition that hard drive like everyone else has suggested. There should be a jumper on it that will limit the space read to 30gigs so that your bios will recongnize it.

11. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Ted -

I don't mean to hijack the thread so feel free to PM if that is more appropriate, but I have a question about what you wrote in post # 5. If I wanted to reformat my hard drive, can I now do that while actually in the OS itself? It's been a while, but I remember having to do it from the c:/ prompt and then having a boot disk that would let me access the cd drive in order to install the OS. Just curious because I am thinking of cleaning my hard drive and doing a fresh install of XP.

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I believe Ted is simply referring to the non-boot (master) hard drive. Heck, you can even format the other partitions on the physical boot drive, just not the logical drive that the OS booted off of.

I have yet to hear different, at least in regards to Windows.

That's why I keep the trusty bootable system floppy with FDISK and CD driver, just like you mentioned.

sidebar - isn't it crazy that we now think of 3Gig as barbaric and are at the point where a person could reasonably have 3Gig MEMORY in their CPU.

Yet it was the same way when those 3-4 Gig HDs were out just 6-7 years ago and I still had a 95 machine around with a .5 Gig drive laughing about how machines now (then) had 512 Meg of memory.

So does that mean that in 6-7 years I will be sitting at my PC with 60 Gig of MEMORY?!? I know the change in technology rate theory, but still, I mean damn would that be a hella lot of memory. [​IMG]

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ted - about your sidebar. I had a new 486 system but couldn't afford a hard drive yet. I created a RAM drive in memory, loaded Windows into it, and then split it into two 1.44 meg floppies.

If you're still here... I could boot, load up windows into a ram drive, and play Solitare from it!

Glenn

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I did this about two months ago and I'll echo what some have said, the instructions that came with the drive (Maxtor) were fairly clear and basically fool proof if you have any knowledge of the inner working of a PC or not...it doesn't hurt to have some knowledge before hand of course.

15. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Just boot with to a windows CDrom, format the drive and install the OS.

Should work with 98+

B

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

james - yeah, at least with xp, you can manage your stuff within the os.

start / settings / control panel / administrative tools / computer management / disk management.

you can actually mount, change drive letters, manage partitions (i don't think you can split them though) and format from there.

17. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams
    UPDATE:

I bought a Maxtor 60 Gig drive today from J&R, brought it home and installed it. It was ridicioulsly easy. I set it as a slave to my C drive, and the BIOS recognised it off the bat. It feels good to have breathing room on my computer finally. [​IMG]

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

19. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I would have taken out that 3 gig hard drive, that thing has already long out lasted its life expectancy, you dont want to have to deal with that thing when it dies, it will be a big pain in the ass. Not to mention its no doubt a much slower drive than your new maxtor.

20. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams
    I would have, but the thing seems built into the case. I've heard its best when transferring files from hard drives, is to use Norton's Ghost. Theres a CD-ROM that came with my HD that has a utlilty to do that...so do I definately need Ghost?

Another thing...I haven't been continiously using this comp since 98...I just recently started using it again after 2-3 years of not touching it.