How do you hook up 2 rear centers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tom Kay, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hello All;

I am building my HT, and will be pre-wiring all of my cables and speaker runs before I close up the walls and ceilings with drywall.

I have heard that using 2 rear center speakers is better because the sound is "injected" a little more directly into your ears than with 1 rear speaker blasting at the back of your head.

Please assume that I am talking about an amp that has only one output for a rear center, and I want to use 2 speakers. If it has 2 outputs, then it's kind of a non-issue, as they'd be set up for the right resisitance. Would the one-speaker setup be called 6.1, and the 2 rear speaker setup be called 7.1?

So here's my question: how do you hook this up? If you wire 2 speakers in parallel (assuming they're 8 ohms each), you'll have 4 ohms of resistance. Isn't that bad for most AVR's? I mean, aren't the amp outputs performing best with an 8 ohm load, and at risk of over-working if they see only a 4 ohm load? Will the 2 center speakers appear louder or quieter than the other speakers in the system?

So how is it done? Thanks, Tom, Ottawa Canada.

2. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

At one point I had 4 Rogers DB-101 studio monitors (4 Ohm) running on my Onkyo TX-SR600 with 2 more wired in serial as a center channel (8 ohm load). There were no ill effects during either extended normal listening or 2-3 hour movie watching.

However, depending on how hard you drive your system and your amplifier/receiver's tolerances it could cause it to overheat. I would think that in most cases, however, that it simply activates a thermal shutdown circuit as opposed to melting down the electronics. [​IMG]

COnsidering that you are only wiring the 2 rear center channels in parallel (i.e., 1 4 ohm load) and given that the rear center doesn't get THAT much signal fed to it at any given time, you should probably be fine.

3. John S

John S Producer

Putting dual 8 ohm spekaers in parallel for your back off of one channel/amp in your AVR will most likely cause no problems. Makes a fairly effective 7.1 even. I like the idea.

4. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

I wired mine in series for my back speakers and I'll recommend you do the same.
    I'd much rather have a 12ohm load than a 3ohm (my speakers are all 6 ohms) load no matter how much use they're getting.