What's new

How do you haggle a dealer? (1 Viewer)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I have decided to purchase a set of Paradigms from a local dealer. I talked with him yesterday and he said he would cut me a deal. How much should I ask for? What should my initial offer be?

The total cost is $1008 +tax. From what I have heard some dealers will give 15%, so that would put me at $850. Does that sound fair? And if so, should my first offer be 20%.

Any help would be nice,
Casey

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Just act like you really want to buy them. Then the guy starts thinking in his head how much commission he is going to get. Then at the last minute you ask for a price, and if he says no, then say ok, and start to walk out.

If you set the price really really low, then they will usually chase after you and make a compromise. Most of the time you will not get a super low price, but can get some off.

Just make the guy want the sale really bad. If he spends a lot of time with you he will usually want the money, or think of it as wasted time. I guess it's kinda rude, but you can take your business anywhere, and he knows that.

The key to not getting ripped off (and speakers are usually marked up like 60% at places like Circuit City) is not to go in so excited and thinking you will take something home that day.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Always ask the other side for their best price. If it's equal to, or less than, what you had in your head as the most you'd pay, there you go. If it's higher, tell him you had hoped to get them for whatever that price you set was. That's fair, and more ofthen than not, the dealer will oblige.
-Erik

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I like to act like I'm interested, just disappointed because I don't quite have enough money or I just can't quite justify the cost. Then I see what they offer. If they come down only a little, I then make a counter offer, if they come down to close proximity of what I want, I don't jerk them around, I just accept. That's the way I like to do it. If they refuse I just say I guess I'll have to wait and I leave. I'm not one to play lots of games.

The important thing is that you already know what a fair price is. If he doesn't want to deal, tell him flat out you know most people buy them for 15% to 20% off and see what he does. If need be you can always drive into KC one day, so you have other options. Also, take a look around and show some serious interest in some other gear. Pretend (unless its the truth) that you are planning to revamp your HT over the next year or so. If you get him thinking you'll be a returning customer, he'll most likely deal with you.

I would recommend that you don't waste a lot of his time though, that is if you want a good deal. If the guy sees that you are a well-educated customer that knows what you want, he'll see that you are an easy sale. I mean this in a good way. My dealer just gives me his lowest price because when I want something I call him and say "give me this". That's it, no bs. While he doesn't make lots off me, he makes up for it in having little time invested in me, and future guaranteed sales. Of course he answers any questions I have, but I don't make him jump through hoops and play 5 different speakers on 7 different receivers to see what I like best. If I put him through a bunch of shit I'd insist on paying more to compensate him for his time. As a result of this relationship me and my friends get substantial savings without a hassle.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
How do you haggle a dealer?
Personally, I recommend growing your own. Dealers are shady characters and are often under surveillance. If you must buy from one, I don't recommend you haggle. They generally have a fixed price for their goods and are likely to become angry if you try to extract some sort of a deal out of them.

Oh wait, you're buying speakers? Nevermind... :b

;)

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'm always pretty open and friendly with dealers. I tell them what I'm interested in, tell them what I feel is a fair and reasonable price, and try to take the amount I'm willing to pay in cash. I know this sounds weird, but when I pull out my roll, tell them I'll buy it that minute if he'll meet the amount, I've personally never had them say no. Nonetheless, and this is the key, I'm very reasonable. I don't expect the mom and pop store to meet the lowest internet price I can find. I've usually done my research and have determined what is a fair price for both my dealer and myself. The only proviso I have is that there has to be a return policy, but, as yet, I've never returned anything that I've bought from a privately owned/operated audio store. I still want a return policy there though, just in case.

As for taking up the dealer's time, I usually find that, after the sale, if the store isn't busy, they love showing you their other goods and talk audio.

One last thing. I always call or write a note telling them my positive impressions of both the transaction and the product. I've never had anything but a warm greeting the next time I enter the store and I do tend to go back to the same shops over and over.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
You're looking to purchase Paradigm speakers. They aren't sold on the Internet, they have a limited distribution network and they hold their value pretty well. 15% is probably a solid deal, more than that could be exceptional. You're dealing with a brand in which you won't be able to simply drive down the street to get a better price because your dealer may be the only Paradigm dealer in town. If you feel that the price offered to you is fair and you truly want the speakers then don't agonize over a lousy $50 or $75 or whatever, buy them and enjoy them. Good luck.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Yeah there are only 3 other Paradigm dealers I know of within 60 miles. So should I tell them I have $850 to spend, expecting to $900. It seems to me that $100 dollars off $1000 dollars worth of speakers is rather reasonable.

Oh Ryan, I don't do drugs, but I have a few friends who go to KU, so I don't need to worry about shady dealers

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Casey, tell the guy at AJ that you are definitley going to buy within the next week or so, but make sure and tell him you are going to go to the other Paradigm dealers, and mention their names, to compare prices. I guarantee he will be more than happy to "beat" their prices. Heck, call the other dealers and see what they can do for you on the package deal. You may find a really good price at one of them.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg

This is very similiar to the method I use. I always tell the dealer that I will be visiting two other dealers and which ever one gives me the best price without me telling them what their competition has offered me will earn my business. This is fair to both you and the dealer you choose. Just remember to be tactfull and friendly and they will treat you the same way. It is also helpfull to let them know you appreciate the way they have treated you and how much you would like to do business with them. This method works very well when purchasing automobiles as well especially when you have a copy of the invoice for the car you are looking at and you are comparing apples to apples.

Greg

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
One thing, if you are paying cash, is to get their best price and ask if they'll give you a cash discount. I did this when I bought my studio 40s and got another $40 off in addition to the 15% they already gave me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks