What's new

How do you guys wire your Shivas? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Will you be using 2 amp channels to power each Shiva or just one amp channel to power both Shivas?
If you are using 2 amp channels, leave each driver hooked up in parallel as you have shown, and just run one set of cables to just one set of the positive/negative terminals. Then do the same to the other amp channel for the other Shiva driver. Then run the cable from the amp to each set of the terminal inputs for each driver (you can use two single terminal input cups, or a dual-input terminal cup - without the metal "straps" in place so that are 2 separate set of connections.)
If you are using 1 amp channel. Remove the parallel wiring you have shown on both drivers. On each driver short one of the voice coils - connect one short piece of cable from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. On the other terminals, connect the cable from the input cup to the proper terminal (positive and negative). On the other driver, short one set of the voice coils as you did with the 1st driver.
I'm assuming you're using a dual-input terminal cup. If so, then use the metal "straps" to parallel the 2 sets of terminals in the cup. From the other side of the dual-input terminal cup, connect one set of cables to the 1st driver, and connect the other set of cables to the other driver.
This will make it look like you'd parallel 2 Shivas (each an 8 ohm load) for a nominal 4 ohm load.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Patrick,
Thanks for the lengthy explanation of different wiring options.
But....
I know that you don't know what level of experience people that post questions have. GOD knows you have gone well above the call of duty in your step by step tutorials on how to build sonosubs. I however am pretty well versed in wiring and such. I guess I should have been more specific in my question...
What I meant to ask was, Do you think physically wiring a Shiva like this is OK? I mean the wires wrap around the magnet and I am concerned that in a down-firing orientation there may be a chance of the wires rattling on the basket. Maybe I should tape them to the basket? I wish the Shivas had one of their terminals with the + and - reversed so you wouldn't have to do it like you do.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doh! If you are really worried about rattling, use some putty to "stick" the wires to the underside ridge of the magnet. Or make the wires longer, and wrap them around the 2 poles that go from the bottom endcap to the top endcap, and then connect them to the other voice coil terminal connection. Maybe put a nail in each pole to prevent the wires from slipping down (coat rack hook technique) once you wrapp the wire around it.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks