What's new

How do You guys STOP from bothering neighbors with BASS (1 Viewer)

Daryl RL

Agent
www.soundproofing.org (and www.auralex.com and probably a bunch of other acoustical/sound sites) have some GREAT info but sometimes their product prices are inflated.

I'm not sure of the rules here on bashing companies so here's a couple examples of what's available out there - you can do your own price comparisons to sites like the ones mentioned above:

Acoustical Caulk
www.roancorp.com - Tremco acoustical sealant for under $8 a tube (large 29 oz. tube).

Mineral wool insulation (very dense - seems good for soundproofing)
local Thermafiber distributor (contact www.thermafiber.com) - 3" thick mineral fiber - $.27/sq. ft. in 16"x48" batts

Acoustical foam (various kinds)
www.foambymail.com - shipping costs are still a killer.

Anyway - shop around! Some of the soundproofing can be done for a lot less than you might think. I almost gave up on doing much of it until I found some of the sites above.

Daryl

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I just started using the Night Mode on the receiver to cut the bass down. I have two young children and my 10 month old daughter's room is right above the basement with the set up. Using the Night mode at night was actually pretty good.
Or hang the neighbor from the neck till he's dead, dead, dead.:laugh: (A line from a Star Trek episode) just kidding of course.

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
a)Flatten your sub's response with an EQ should get rid of quite a bit of that obnoxious boominess OR...

2)Move into a house

;)

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
My neighbor 2 houses away has come over a few times to complain about her windows rattling. Now I just crank it up louder to drown out the knocking on the door........:D

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator
LMAO........... I wish i could do that but my neighbor is a nice guy and has a little girl and expecting on the way so i feel bad.......:frowning:

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a ridiculously impractical solution, but a fun one if you're into building subs:

Build an all-weather outdoor subwoofer (I'm seeing a box with a little shingled roof--like a doghouse). Place it between your house and the complaining neighbor. Wire up a microphone to an inverting amplifier (with appropriate low-pass, phase and response-compensating circuits between). Now you've got an active bass-canceling system that creates a shadow of silence behind it.

Here's a link to get you started, but the weatherizing will be up to you. :D

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Acoustic treatments won't help contain the bass that much. Most of the bass heard from outside has to do with transmission through cracks and holes or resonating walls. I also don't see it practical to spend a lot of money on sealing the apartment and remodeling it with sound deadening materials though.

Basements with concrete walls/floor can be horrible for bass. The waves are gonna ring back and forth like no other.

Maybe you could just turn down the LFE a bit, watch loud movies at appropriate times, etc.

Wait I have a better idea. Let your neighbors demo your sub, then blast them with bass so it damages their ears perception of bass signals.

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator

From what I've been reading, it does sound like cracks, holes, windows, doors, etc are the weakest points. You are agreeing with this. While it probably isn't as worth going nuts on other treatments, there seems to be an agreement on the major causes. So I think it probably should be worth spending a little money on some caulk and weatherproofing to seal up those weak points at minimum. That is literally only a few dollars worth of material.

There is a tiny crack along the wall in one of my friend's dorm rooms- and even though you can't see through the crack, you hear everything from the other side as clearly as if there was no wall. When w cover that crack up with a pillow, you can still hear something, but its softer and you can no longer tell what words are being said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks