How do you guys run your speaker wire??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

I know some people go up through the walls into the attic. I am trying to avoid this. I know I car run my wires along the edge of the wall and tuck them in between the baseboard and carpet and you won't be able to see them. Only problems I see is when I get to the fire place. Also, if you look at the picture below (not a very good pic), I can do one of two things. 1. I can move the entertainment center down a foot or so and put my right speaker on the left side of our bedroom door. Or 2. If I can figure out how to put a speaker to the right side of the door. Only problem is I don't know the best way to get the wire on the other side of the door without looking to tacky. Any ideas??
    [​IMG]

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Maybe this: Get flat 12-gauge speaker wire. Carefully pull the carpet away from the baseboard to the left and right of the door, leaving the part at the door itself intact. Feed a piece of straightened coat hanger wire or some similar stiff wire under the carpet, attach the speaker wire to it. and carefully pull it through, trying to keep the speaker wire flat. This is just to get around the door. On either side, attach the flat wire to the baseboard and paint over it.

3. Michael Cook

Thanks Marc, I didn't think about that. Anyone have any ideas on getting around a fireplace??

4. John_Davis

John_Davis Auditioning

What I did was put a rug in front of the fireplace and ran the wire underneath it. Adds a nice warm feel to the room, and addresses the exposed cable issue .

5. Michael Cook

Thanks, I just called my Dad who works for the phone company and runs wires in the walls all the time. For the rears I will just go up through the wall behind the entertainment center and come back down the walls behind the couch. Now, is there some type of plate I should use in the wall?? I will have 4 wires going into one side, and 4 wires coming out on the other side.

6. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Michael,

I did the whole into and up the wall, through the attic and back down the wall deal. Not an easy job but I don't have the wires showing.

I picked up my plates and terminals from Home Depot. It was in the section that has all the data, audio/video stuff. Not real expensive and works very well.

7. Michael Cook

Thanks Shawn, I know it's a pain and that is what I was trying to avoid, but my Father does it on a regualr basis and said it would be easy. What type of plates do you use? Just the spring loaded plates? That would mean that I will have the plates on one side of the room connected to the plates on the other side? Then I would run wire from my receiver to the plate behind the intertainment center, and then run wire from my rear speakers to the plates on the rear wall?

8. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I was going to go into the wall at the baseboard and up
    through the wall then across the attic and back down the
    other wall and come out right behind the speaker and use a
    single gang box sized wall plate with 24K Gold Binding Posts.
    That was untill I got up in the attic and had a look around.
    The wall behind the tv is an outside wall and the top is 100%
    capped. Not to mention the fact that I could barely get over
    to the end of the attic to look let alone try and get a drill
    and a long bit up in there to make a hole. Then there would
    have been the massive project of trying to get that wire up
    through the joists and hitting that teeny tiny hole.
    I finaly came to the gross realization that I would be much
    better off just running straight up a corner wall and straight
    through the celeing.
    This was my solution:
    [​IMG]
    I used Radio Shack CL-2 UL Approved In Wall 16 AWG OFC and
    RG-6 Coax "Wall Bushings" and Radio Shack 24K Bananas on the
    speaker end and on the receiver end.
    [​IMG]
    Can you see the wire??? (Barely!)
    I would have loved to go inside the walls all the way around
    but it just was not feasible for me to do so. If my roof had
    a higher pitch I might have had more room to uncap a section
    of the bearing wall but I just couldn't get in there to do
    much of anything (without taking the roof off of the house) [​IMG]

9. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Michael,
    The plates I used had 4 slots/holes for add on binding posts. Unfortunately I can't find them at www.homedepot.com online so I could show you.
    They are a generic nice white plate with 4 square holes. Then you buy the binding post inserts to put in the holes. I liked these better than the little spring clip kind. They are able to accept banana plugs if need be.
    You will also need the little metal wall inserts that the plates mount to. Very easy to use.
    Take one of the metal wall thingies and trace around it for your hole. Once you cut the hole, insert the metal brace? and bend the metal tabs backwards into the wall to hold it in place. I use these for my phone wire and coax cable runs also. Cheap and easy! There are about 10 - 15 per box.
    The plates come individually I believe in either 2 or 4 hole. And the binding posts come in sets I think (gold with red and black rings).
    EDIT] Yup, you will run the speaker wires from the back of your receiver to the binding posts. Then from the back of the binding posts up inside your wall to your rear surround speakers or maybe to binding posts. I would probably suggest not putting plates near your surrounds just because of the size of hole you would have to cut unless you will never ever move your surrounds.
    This is where I had problems. My rears sit on a wall that is attached to the garage. This is a fire break wall and had horizontal 2x4's a few feet down from the ceiling. I ended up running my wires on the outside of the wall just like in the above picture. I am now looking for some nice "track" to put the wires in. Or I might even rerun it all with good white, flat ribbon type wire.

10. Michael Cook

Thanks, I was thinking of putting plates/binding post on the wall where my receiver is and then the opposite wall where my rears will go. Then just run wire from my receiver to the binding post behind the receiver, and run wire from my rears to the binding posts behind the sofa. My rears will be on stands and not on the wall.
    p.s. Brett, Nice setup. Looks real good. [​IMG]

11. Michael Cook

My receiver has spring loaded connections. Wouldn't it be better to just use the spring loaded wall jacks since my receiver is spring loaded??

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer