What's new

How do you guys find time to play? (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I was getting this for a long time. Calc III (and other classes), full-time job, g/f, etc. I played at night when I got home (@ 11pm) on Wed/Thur/Fri when I didn't have homework, and on the weekend when the g/f was at work.

I took a semester off to cover an engagement ring and I played games galore. Then I came down with tendonitis or carpel tunnel or something (probably from the 8+ hours of computer @ work and the games & computer at home). I haven't been able to play much of anything in about 3 months. A couple of hours of Dynasty Tactics because it's easy on the hands (and you can save mid-battle).

I will start playing again in probably another month (when I am sure my hands are up to it).

My advice would be to get a 2nd shift job, there is no TV to watch besides food dehydrator commercials :). That creates a lot of late-night gaming time. Just take it easy on the hands and take some breaks every now and then!!

StevenK

Second Unit
Prioritizing and scheduling "gaming time" seems like a decent enough idea....but doesn't that just sound so like the antithesis of "gaming"? :) Also, in the past...games just weren't as fun if I didn't have time to de-stress from school/work (especially hard games where you want to throw the controller at the TV)...but that's just cause I'm a loser.

Well, unfortunately, the priority for tonight is the Kings game.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Just wait until you have a kid, no time AND no energy to play your games. I wouldn't trade it for the world though.
Couldn't agree more! I have a 4 month old daughter - light of my life, but playing any games during the week isn't an option anymore. I've got about 6 games still shrink wrapped that Im dying to get to once I finish Wind Waker.

The scary thing is, there just seems to be MORE games that I want. I can't decide if getting SWG is a good idea - at this point I don't think I will (even though I've waited my whole life for a game like that).

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Self employed and work from home. So when I don't have work to do for a client, I have plenty of time to read HTF and play video games.

Right now I'm working on Metroid Prime...stuck on Meta Ridley. I've tried 5 times so far and can't beat him. And after that, I have to go defeat the Metroid Prime and my game is over. At least I got 100% of the pickupsso when I do finish I'll get the full ending.

And after Metroid Prime, I have a these games on my plate:

Cube
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Zelda: Wind Waker

PSX
Final Fantasy Origins (FFI and FFII)

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I have my own practice, and three kids and I manage about 2-3 hours of gaming a night. Hows that for commitment (or insanity:D ).

My oldest son has diabetes and needs his blood sugar checked nightly at about 1:30 a.m., and since it's harder for me to wake up and go check him (Heavy sleeper), I just stay up till it's time. Since the kids are in bed by 9 and the wife by about 10:30 - 11:00, I have a few good gaming hours till its time to crash.

Last night I played an hour of Indiana Jones on the X-Box and an hour of Splinter Cell on the PS2.

i've learned to survive on 5hrs of sleep
Me too!

Did I mention how much I love coffee? :b

Cheers.
J.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Learn to sleep less :)

I work the late shift at work... so I usually get home at around 10-10:30PM and then game/watch anime till about 3-4AM unless I go out somewhere (because it's summer my friends and I have got into playing 8-player HALO matches till the wee hours). My inner clock wakes me up at 9AM.

Also, if you find a boy/girlfriend... make sure he/she shares your interest. Mine could love nothing more than watching hours of anime and playing video games (and maybe ice cream too ;) )

SarahG

Second Unit
I play when I get home from work..during that time when Prime Time TV has not yet started and I don't want to watch ET. Generally, I must admit it often stretches into the Prime Time TV time..but oh well. These games are just a bit to addicting for me to be able to leave=)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I just try to squeeze the time in whenever I get a chance.

Between, work, sports (playing hockey 3 times a week), and time for me and the wife, gaming comes in pretty far towards the bottom.

But, tonight I'm going to spend some quality time with an old favorite, TIE Fighter. Got that bad boy working on Windows XP last night, and I'm due to give the rebels a good thrashing.

Glen

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Between, work, sports (playing hockey 3 times a week), and time for me and the wife, gaming comes in pretty far towards the bottom.
Right now I am in between relationships and I have no children, but it's still hard to be honest with you to find time for gaming.

I'm an internet junkie, love to read, love my HT, love music, studying for my Chartered Financial Analyst exams, work 10 hours a day, and ALSO play hockey 3 times a week as well as Glen.

I have so many interests that finding enough time in the day is very difficult. For instance, I bought Morrowind last June, and I am just starting to play it NOW...almost 13 months after purchase. If I didn't buy it off a friend for $25, I would be pissed because I can get it now for less than $20 easy.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have finals and work right now. Hopefully the summer will lead to more game time (and the job will lead to more money).

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Honestly, the only way I find time to play is to cut the TV watching way down. Between work, other hobbies, and rarely ever playing games during the weekend, I'm not left with much time. My problem is that I'm a sucker for a deal(or DVD), so I keep amassing all of these games that I haven't the time to focus attention on. I bought my XBOX about 4 months ago and already have over 40 games...and this doesn't include the close to 100 Dreamcast games I've got when the DC went under and they were practically giving games away. So pretty much, I'd say 75% of the time my TV is on only because I'm watching a DVD or playing a game. Not that I miss it much.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
unemployment.

Graduated from college in May, haven't found a job yet. Though, I think I MAY have got the one that I interviewed for on Friday :D

David Glenn

Second Unit
i've learned to survive on 5hrs of sleep.
ditto, less sleep during the week. Up till 1:00AM weekdays. Up for work at 6:30AM. Up till 4:00AM on the weekends. If we are not doing anything, my wife & daughter let me sleep until 10:00AM on Saturday's.

Also, when the Grandparent's take my daughter for the day and a sleep over, my wife goes to the Salon & shopping with her friends and I catch up on my DVDs & VGs.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
My answer is simple:

Have some kids. Wait a few years until they grow up a bit, then use them as an excuse to justify to your wife the need for all major game systems, and gameboys, and lots of games, and the time to bond with them while playing.

Pay your kids an allowance for their weekly chores, and then encourage them to save and spend their allowance on, you guessed it, more video games.

Tell you wife that you need time to practice by playing your own games (like the rated M titles), so you can keep up with the kids. You wouldn't want the kids to whoop up on dad too much and lose all respect now, would you?

So far it's worked for me!

I suppose you could take the easy way out and go with the less sleep option, you slackers! ;)

LanceH

Agent
I find that, even though I do have the time to play - especially on the weekends - I feel guilty if I spend TOO much time gaming. I have several unfinished games as well, all of which I'm anxious to get to and several that I can't wait to play over again. However, I have to many 'real life' things that need to be priority and it makes it hard to justify taking the time to have fun.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Hmm. Between martial arts 2x a week, lifting weights 3x a week, a great girlfriend that I live with, a social life in Manhattan, it becomes very difficult.

This is why I haven't picked up an Xbox yet - I barely have enough time to play my PS2 and Gamecube.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks