How do you go about getting a passport?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ColinM, Feb 26, 2004.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I may have to travel to Germany and France for business. Never thought I'd be in that position, and before I do actual research I thought I'd drop a note here.

Where to start?

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  3. Jean Luc

Jean Luc Agent

Your local post office also has the forms required for a passport. It's one of the services they provide. For an additional fee, you can expedite the passport to about 2 weeks.

4. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Colin ...

It's really no big deal. Get a passport pic taken (or do it yourself), then take your $$$ & completed form to a local post office, sign it and off it goes.

Be aware that it often takes 1 month or more for your passport to come back. I'd allow 60 days before your 1st trip to be safe. If you are in a bigger hurry, you can pay extra for quick service ... it think they can turn them around in 3-5 days if needed. My company gets this done for people at times.

I go to France & Germany on business fairly regularly ... let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Scott

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

ColinM,

WHen do you need it by? I had to travel to Poland shortly after 9/11 and had to get a passport right away. If you need it sooner (within 3 months), you have to follow different procedures than if you need it later. I had to go to my state capitol offices in Boston and fill out the forms in person and follow other strict procedures. I think they called this "Passport Express". My advice, call your local Post Office or see the web site above. Just letting you know that getting it fast is no picnic.

Edit - I see others have beat me to the punch!

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The main problem most people have is getting an original certified copy of their birth certificate from their county of birth. There's a link on the state department site above that can help.

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

They can actually do it in even less time. I had mine recently expedited, and the turn around was less than 5 working days.

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have accounts in Europe that I control inventory for. My company is taking a hit on service issues as a result of certain "mishandling of assets", and there are plans to go over soon, but no date. I'm being pre-emptive. I have a feeling it'll be 8 weeks or less before I get "called up". Thanks for all the great advice and support! I checked and my city hall looks like a good place for me to start, I'm going over there tomorrow.

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Yeah, there's no reason to wait.

10. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Do you need a visa for Germany?

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

visa? not sure I understand the question, but no. I showed up, they stamped my passport and I was in the country. Customs was harder to get back IN the us than it was in germany.

12. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

If you go to the passport agency directly you can get it the next day for the additional fee:

http://travel.state.gov/agencies_list.html

They just ask when you're leaving. I got mine in two days. But there isn't one in Minnesota...

You'll need to get a passport picture taken on your own too.

Your passport stamp is your visa for most of Europe (usually 30-90 day maximum stay, iirc.)

13. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Also understand that your original documents (birth certificate, marriage license, etc.) will be sent in with your passport application. So you will not have those items in your possession for a while.

You can get your passport photo taken at almost any photo developing store in the mall. It's not cheap, but they get it done quickly.

14. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Faxed my request for the birth cert, with expedite I should have it in 5 days, $39. Then I go to the counter at the local courthouse...

Thanks again, guys, I can't wait to travel!

15. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

American citizens don't need a visa for most of western Europe and some of our other close allies. We have treaties with those countries to make travel easier for our citizen's and their's.

16. Jean Luc

Jean Luc Agent

Keith,
    you are correct. It is called the visa waiver program.
    They'll just stamp your passport, and you're good to go.
    This program works both ways BTW. Any german coming in would just get his passport stamped as well as that one immigration from they fill out.
    JL

17. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

18. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Thanks... That was what I was asking... I recall needing one for France (maybe because I lived there for a prolonged period as a Student?).

19. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Mike -

I'd rather have good conversation. I have since gotten what I needed from the good members of this forum, and in the process have learned many things from shared experience. Your advice is still appreciated, though.

Google is good for only so much.

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the post office here will do it, but there are only a handfull of post offices with passport desks in them. I think the photo is free however.