What's new

How do you go about adding to your DVD collection? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Is there a method to your madness, or do you collect willy-nilly?

As for me, while there are certain titles that I know I want (and plan for), I'm just as prone to making spur-of-the-moment purchases - if I see something interesting, I'll snag it.

And you?

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
In the very beginning, I bought only a few "must-have" titles. As I discovered more sources for cheap DVDs, I went absolutely over the top. I would buy anything I had the remotest interest in. Since I started collecting, I've bought over 500 DVDs. I've narrowed my collection down to about 160, with around 5-10 more that I'd like to buy, and maybe a dozen coming out in the next 4-5 months that I will definitely purchase. I've learned to only buy titles that I am sure will get lots of replay. Occasionally I'll take a chance on something sight unseen (like recently, The Magic Flute) but usually I will just rent or borrow from the library instead. Out of the over 300 DVDs that I've bought and then sold, there's only 2 or 3 that I wish I had kept.

I consider my previous DVD-buying obsession to have been a sickness, one I believe that many other HTFer's are afflicted with. (Remember Max Yokell? That guy would buy ANYTHING). But if you can honestly afford it, then I guess it's okay.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
When I started out with my DVD collection about 3 years ago, I was only going to buy those "special" films. I was pretty good with this for the first 1-1/2 years or so. Then, with the opportunities that trade forums and EBay provided for "getting rid" of DVDs you didn't care for, I started buying them sight-unseen. Well, that opened up a can of worms where I stopped renting altogether. (I really feel that having a "ticking clock" on a rental spoils a lot of the leisurely enjoyment of watching what you want to, when you want to.)

Anyway, I'm afraid I've become a bit obsessive in my purchases. And my interest lies mainly in foreign and arthouse DVDs, which are never as nicely priced as the "mainstream" titles. :frowning:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Every movie I want to own that is currently available I already own. I have a list of films I want to own that are not yet on dvd. Each week, if any of those films become available, I buy them. Simple as that.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Usually I know what I'm looking for before I go.

But there are also times when I just go browsing and grab whatever tickles my fancy at that moment.

Ah, those were the days.... :frowning:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I am fairly particular when I purchase a DVD. I try to only buy titles that I think I will watch at least a few times to make it worth it. I have been a subscriber to Netflix for almost three years now, and I see a ton of movies that way, so I don't usually feel the need to buy titles sight unseen.

I only own about 140 DVD's, but, other than a few titles for my daughter, I consider the vast majority of those titles to be of pretty high quality (not necessarily a masterpiece, but at least entertaining).

Bottom line is I go for quality over quantity.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I buy movies that I really like as soon as they are released. I'll probably buy a new movie I haven't seen if it's a decent sale price, otherwise I'll rent. For under $8, I'll buy practically anything. Did I really need that Foxy Brown DVD I picked up at Best Buy the other day? No, but it was singing my song: "$7.99! $7.99!"

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It’s a function of price and desirability. For example, when Criterion releases the Truffaut box set, I’ll purchase that, even though it will be reasonably expensive.

Items I see walking through a ‘Best Buy’ and clones priced below $10, I’m likely to grab just because they are so cheap.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I go in cycles of only buying absolute must haves and buying lots of "sight unseen" titles. Right now I'm in probably my longest stretch of not buying a disc since I started collecting. The last DVD I bought was Contempt, and I'm not planning on buying anything until the last week of Feb. or 1st week of March.

I only order online and rarely go to stores. But price does make a difference in buying something I like vs. a must have.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I have been a subscriber to Netflix for almost three years now, and I see a ton of movies that way, so I don't usually feel the need to buy titles sight unseen.
Netflix seems to have an interesting array of titles. . .however, I'm afraid that with the extra time for delivery to Hawaii, I wouldn't be able to get them "in and out" fast enough. I've heard of a lot of mainland people having delivery problems both ways (must be the labeling akin to "I'm a DVD -- steal me!"), so I don't think I'd want to chance the worry! :frowning:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I usually buy whatever strikes my fancy, I don't have a target list of films to buy,
I know roughly what I want in my collection, but I have bought a few dvds that I probably will never watch again.

For no apparent reason I've recently been buying classic horror dvds, Roger Corman's 'Masque of the Red Death' dropped thru my letter box yesterday, in a double bill with 'Premature Burial', the dvd cost me just £7, 'Pit and the Pendulum' is on the way.

Next month I might suddenly be into buying Hong Kong action dvds, hmmm hang on let me write this down... next month...;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Every purchase I've made so far I've been more than happy with. I only buy DVD's of films I either really love or like enought to want to see again.

Having said that, I bought the Criterion Collection of Brazil. I'll even say that I like the movie, although I don't praise it to the heavens like some people. However, the extras are astounding on this set, and I'm glad I got it when Best Buy was still cheap.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I generally buy stuff I haven't seen, because I won't see it otherwise. I pick fairly carefully when it comes to those I have seen, unless there's a bargain(recently, Fright Night for $10)...

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I am in the "collector mode". In a span of about three years I have bought almost 600 discs. My reasoning is fairly simple. I want to have something for everyone to watch when they come over. I want to appeal to everyone's tastes, not just my own. We usually have people over 2-3 times a week to watch movies. Sometimes friends come over and see a movie they want to watch later, so I charge them $1 for 3 days to take it. (I will never let someone who smokes rent anything). I haven't had a problem with anyone yet, and my friends are much happier because the selection is much better than Blockbuster. I take in ~$50 month this way so they way I see it-that is another three DVDs. I never pay more than $15 for a single disc (box sets are different). Each week my girlfriend and I scan the Sunday ads and look for deals and then we go to CD warehouse to see if any of them can be found cheaper.

Ike

Screenwriter
I'm a list maker. I'm spread thin in expensive hobbies, so when I get cash for DVD's, I know exactly what I want. I only have 183 titles (according to DVD Profiler), so that's certainly not every movie I want.

I "window-shop" online, then write down the things I want. I group them under "A-List" or "B-List." I also have a "To Get" list, which is things I've ordered but yet to receive, pre-orders that I have to get, and titles that I should get before all others (a sort of A+ list). I pick through the A list until there aren't anymore, then I go for the B List (which has never happened). I usually shop online, since local selection is thin in my taste, to say the least. If they do have the title, they usually are more expensive anyway. And I like getting packages in the mail. ;)

I do buy sight unseen, because I'm not crazy about renting. Truth is, I'm pretty easily pleased by films, and I know my "movie type," so I don't worry about hugely being disappointed. I have The Three Colors Trilogy pre-ordered, because I know I'll like them, no question in my mind. I also know I wouldn't like Half Past Dead from the same week, or The Ring, and I haven't seen any of them. If I'm interested in something that got bad reviews, or something out of my movie type, I'll rent it. Sometimes you find gems that way.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Let's see.

For now I have everything I want (must-own) that's out on DVD. Every once in a while I'll go scavenger hunting at Best Buy/On-line to look for something that I'd maybe want.

I keep a list of films (150ish) that are absolute Must-own for me when/if they arrive on DVD.

I have a much bigger list :frowning: of what I classify as borderline titles. Films that I liked but I'm unsure of whether or not I'd what to own. Most of the time I'll rent(If possible) the title first to make up my mind.

For new films I almost never blind-buy as many HTF'rs seen to do.
I usually only buy new films if I'd seen it at the Theater & it warrants a purchase otherwise I'll rent it from Hollywood video or Netflix first. Maybe once or twice a year I'll take a chance if its a film that I wanted to see badly but missed at the theater. This last year it was Minority Report & this year it looks like it'll be Gangs of New York. :frowning:

I do take a chance and Blind-buy when it comes to certain hard to find catalog titles.

My latest were The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp - because I'm a fan of P&P.

Also two fantastic Ringo Lam Hong Kong films I've been wanting to see for a long time - the nihilistic Full Contact & the Universe OAR/OSL version of City on Fire. Highly recommended for those interested in cerebral action/crime films. :emoji_thumbsup:

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

ditto.

A few years back thanks to etailers I bought pretty much anything I was remotely interested in. Now that I have a base of just over 100 titles any additions to the collection have to be rewatchable. There's a local video store that buys and sells used discs, thru them I've gotten rid of the titles I knew i'd never watch again and I've gotten some good deals too.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I use a number of the review sites to grade the DVD's quality, sometimes deferring purchase in hopes of a SE.

The list is then ranked and compiled on a spreadsheet and then they are purchased through Columbia House at around $8.30 each. The ones I can't get through CH I look for at Sam's or Deep Discount DVD online.

I am up to around 100 discs so far. There's roughly another 100 'essential' discs yet to buy.

Most new discs I wait until they become available as enrollments at CH.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks