How do you get local channels in HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin_Su, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Calvin_Su

Calvin_Su Stunt Coordinator

Do you need to get a new dish, or just an HD reciever? I am not interested in HD HBO, SHOWTIME, or HDNET. I just want the local channels in HD, and any other channels in the DirecTV total choice. I called diretv and asked them this, and they keep insisting that the local channels are not in HD, but I know after reading this forum that Jay Leno, ER, Smallville, and Alias are being shown in HD.

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

There's no network HD on satellite, except for CBS which has an agreement with Dish Network. A CBS HD feed is available to Dish Network customers living in cities where the local CBS station is owned by CBS, or where the local CBS station not owned by CBS permits it.

So you need an HD receiver and rooftop antenna to tune in your local TV stations' digital channels over the air. Sometimes rabbit ears will work but chances are they don't. Or, if your cable company is carrying your local digital channels, you need a subscription to that and the accompanying box they provide.

And one more thing, your local TV stations have to be transmitting HD programming on their digital channels. Most stations in the smaller cities haven't started yet.

3. Calvin_Su

I live in a suburb in Los Angeles County.

As for antennas, what do you think about the Terk brand? Terk has a $50 dish mount antenna that was made specifically for satellite TV. I was planning on getting an antenna anyway just for the free local channels.

For directv, when you use an indoor UHF antenna, I understand that you don't have to ever adjust it because for HD, you either get perfect picture or you don't get it at all. Does the same apply for non-HD DirecTv broadcasts? I was wondering if I could test if I could get HD without actually buying an HD reciever first.

Another way to ask this is: Suppose I get an antenna and it does give me the local channels for directv, but I don't have an HD reciever yet. When I get the reciever, am I guaranteed to get the local channels in HD since I did get them with the standard reciever?

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Calvin,
    Try WWW.TitanTV.COM
    There is an Antenna Selector link that might help with regards to the right antenna for your location and channel choices.

5. Calvin_Su

Where is the antenna selector link on that site? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

7. Calvin_Su

nevermind i just found it

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have not heard much good about Terk
    If you are really close it wont matter much, but if you have some distance.
    Remember - no snow on digital. Just perfect or nothing

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Calvin, you have to account for the fact that a station may not have their HD antenna in the same location as their standard broadcast antenna.

If you can get rabbit ears to work (and the antennas are in the same place), you'll probably be ok. My signal strength is just over 50 for all of my channels, and the pictures are 99% perfect. Once in a while I will see some pixels in a spot for a second or two, but for the most part, it is really nice!

Glenn

10. Michael St. Clair

Through my cable box.
    OTA DTV does not work well in my neighborhood with rabbit ears, it's rooftop antenna all the way. No thanks. And I'm only 10 miles from the transmitters!