How do you get HD on a Mits w/out DVI (Now onto HDTV choices)?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mitch Stevens, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Hi Everyone,

Ok, so I'm not a newbie to the forum, but I'm a newbie to HDTVs in general. I have a Mits 65" HDTV that I got about a month ago. It does not have DVI or VGA or anything of the sort. It only has Component and of course S-Video and Composite.

Anyway, I keep seeing TV shows that says "Broadcast in HD where Available." How do I go about receiving the HD Signal? I am thinking I need an HDTV receiver box, but what if it doesn't have Component out? Plus...most importantly, will I automatically get the HD signal with this receiver, or will I need to subscribe to the local cable company for a "Special HD channel" package?

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Mitch,

Yes, you need either an HD cable box or HD satellite box. Both will have component out. You can only receive HD signals via component or, now you can use DVI if your tv has it. Yours doesn't. Use component. I have Comcast HD cable and a Mitsubishi 46807 HD ready set. I use component. ANY HD box must and WILL have component out. It's the only way to get 1080i (of course, now there's DVI too).

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Mitch

To get HD on your local channels, “Broadcast in HD where available”. It is a bit to wrap the brain around when you first start. There are two ways to receive HD signals those from an OTA feed and those from a service provider (cable/satellite).

For Satellite/Cable HD signals

1: Display capable of HD some have an OTA (off air television) HD decoder built in (integrated) or are just capable of achieving HD resolution, after you buy off board accessory’s (capable). Some manuf are even putting out displays now with built in decoders for Satellite or Cable.
    If your set is the MITWS65311? It is “Capable” (need to add #2 and #3 below)
    2: Dish upgrade if Satellite to a (for mine) 3 LNB HD capable dish
    3: An HD cable or satellite ‘receiver/decoder’ box.

OR

OTA HD signals
    1: a HD capable display
    2: purchase a standalone OTA HD decoder
    3: make sure you’ve got a great roof antenna dialed in for good reception

And yes (as for now) you can get these HD signals into your Mitsy via component cable hookups it is not necessary to use a DVI input to receive HD signals.
    Many people (I’m more familiar with Satellite HD) purchase a HD STB that has both the HD OTA and HD Satellite decoder built into the one box. .
    It can ‘decode’ the off roof antenna HD signals and pass it to your display, and also decodes for the HD satellite feeds.

Its cheaper (if you don’t have SAT or CABLE) and want a taste of HD from your local channels first, to find an end of cycle discounted HD standalone OTA decoder.

Be aware you need both HD decoders for (cab/sat and OTA) to see all HD broadcasts currently available.

The reason is this: When you see your primetime locals stations with the flag “ Broadcast in HD where available” you HAVE to have your OTA decoder hooked up to see those primetime shows in HD. If you are getting your local stations sent via your cable/sat provider, they send it over the cable in SR (Standard Resolution).
    The Sat companies are just now starting to have several (all the time) HD channels available.
    With Direct TV if you take Showtime and HBO you (also get) one each in HD.
    They are adding right now a separate HD pkg. for an additional $10.99 a month to your basic channels which will be:
    ESPN HD
    Discovery HD Theater
    HDNet
    HDNET Movies
    Special Events (an occasional 'event' not a full time channel sent HD).

4. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Nice post Mary!

The new DirecTv HD package is definitely hard to beat!

As an option, DishNetwork is adding more HD programming (including HDNet and HDNet Movies) and will be releasing it's PVR capable of recording High Definition for time shifting. Rumor has it that is will be released "before the holidays".

DirecTv does not currently have a system that will allow recording HD.

5. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Sorry, :b I should have posted the *E list but I’m not familiar with it right now. (Although I will be). I was approx 6 months back and know they have an upcoming HD revamp going on too, I am not currently up on. I was trying to up-grade the In-laws to HD, (who have “E) which all came to a screeching halt. (They don’t understand what they are missing and could care less).

But something was wrong with the wiring, I still think they have legacy equipment mixed into system with a Dishpro version and something’s just not meshing. I asked and tech support said impossible, but the on-screen test menus indicate both units in the system. Any ways when I have time to go back and deal with tech support on the phone for hours I need to finish the job. And then I’ll be much more familiar with Echostar Dish’s HD lineup.

It’s a good time to familiarize yourself with both companies and what they offer, I did not mean to neglect mentioning *E just currently have Direct myself. Hopefully they will both stay competitive and viable to keep each other’s pencil sharp. (Market competition is GOOD).

6. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Ok...I think I got it. No matter what, I need to have a regular antenna on top of my room? I live in the garage of the main house, and that's where I've got my TV. I asked my parents about the antenna, and they said that we still have a really big one that Choice TV let us have when we stop receiving cable from them. Would that work as the antenna on top of the house?

Second, I should get DirectTV so I can get the HD Channels like Showtime & HBO....But what about regular channels such as the "WB" channel to watch shows like Everwood, Charmed and Smallville? Will an HD version of that channel be included with DirectTV? Hmmm...maybe I should call them. I don't have DirectTV right now, all I have is Comcast cable, and I really hate it, plus it's super expensive and the picture quality is horrible.

How much would this receiver/decoder thing cost anyway?

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

If your local Comcast provider is rolling out HDTV (you'll need to subscribe to one of their 3 digital packages, and pay $5 extra for the new Decoder box that provides the component output for HDTV).

Feel free to peruse these threads on Comcast and HDTV.

Otherwise, also check out threads on Directv and HDTV.

8. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Second, I should get DirectTV so I can get the HD Channels like Showtime & HBO
    Yes if you want to see those channels in HD.
    WB" channel to watch shows like Everwood, Charmed and Smallville?
    No, you cannot see those broadcasts in HD via DIRECT TV. WB is a channel on the DIRECT TV lineup but only sent to you by the satelite co. via analog feed in Standard Resolution.

To view WB in HD during hours/shows they broadcast it, you will have to have an OTA HD decoder and the roof antenna picking up the UHF (VHF for ABC etc) signals very strongly.

I’m not up on antenna brands but any roof top UHF/VHS antenna will work for this, High-gain are sometimes best to make sure you get a good strong signal. (over air broadcasts stink in my area without a VERY good antenna) Your coaxial line from your rooftop antenna you would route first through the HD decoder box you purchase. Then out from the decoder into the UHF/VHS input on your TV for your off the air antenna.

IF you purchase a HD Box for Satellite that includes an OTA HD decoder, you’ll have two coaxial inputs on the back, one to route your Sat coaxial cable through, and one to route your UHF/VHS coaxial cable through. It will decode the HD transmissions from both feeds.

I have not priced standalone OTA HD decoders, if you could hunt one used maybe. (100 to 200) Brand new they may be as much as 400? (which I would not pay for a standalone). The new Satellite decoders will run ummm 300 to 800? (I pd 600 for a Sony HD200 which I had to return as I thought it was not fully cooked yet. [​IMG] I’m back to using a RCA DTC100 for Direct, which is discontinued now, but you can find used. If I knew I would eventually add DIRECT TV or DISH, I’d call either provider and see if I bought the Satellite decoder with OTA if I could just use the SAT box, - at first - to just plug my OTA feed through until I took out a subscription. The only reason I do not know if this method would work, is when you purchase a new HD Sat decoder (STB) for either DISH or DIRECT you have to call the Co, to activate your box and have the key card turned on. Don’t know if the OTA portion of the box would be locked out if the box were not activated. A standalone OTA HD decoder you just ‘plug’ in.

Since you don’t have DIRECT or DISH and would be a new subscriber, I’d hunt for ‘free install , free HD dish, included with the purchase of the box etc type deals. Be aware these always come with a 1 yr. contract commitment you pay a couple hundred early cancellation fee.

Good luck, you’ll like it when you ‘see’ it. [​IMG]

Edit: I wrote it too simplistic. Do pay attention to connectivity if you shop used, earlier gen HD decoder models. On my DTC100 (I had fits making it work) I purchased before I paid attention to inputs/outputs. It has a RGB plug out for the HD portion of the feed to the display. Unfortunatly my display had a DVI input only . I had to purchase a RGB to Component converter to make it work.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mitch,

Don't assume that you will be able to get HD just because of that "In HDTV where available".

It ain't available everywhere, so check with your local stations first.

Many are still not doing digital broadcasts, and many that are doing digital broadcast are not passing the HD signals from their networks.

My local CBS, WB, and UPN stations do have digital but are not equipped to pass on the High-Def feeds from thier respective networks.

OTA only receivers start at around $299-400, combination OTA and satellite models start at $499 or so.