What's new

How do you get a nice black glossy finish on MDF? (1 Viewer)

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
My Tempest sonosub is coming along nicely, and I'm looking forward to finishing it in the coming week.. I want to finish it in black, and would like the end caps to be glossy black. I've seen several people have this result, and just wanted to know how it's done. Also, is it possible to veneer over a rounded or bullnosed endcap (considering it's a round cap obviously)

thanks

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
That like pretty much tells you exactly how to do it. It is a very hard and time consuming finish but worth it once completed.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
Ok that is way too much work for my application :) after all, this is just a sub.. not a masterpiece .. hmm... well anyway, is there a simpler way.. perhaps not piano finish glossy, but just a nice looking finish. a veneer perhaps?

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
You can get a high gloss finish from MDF very easily. Spray the bare wood with clear coat from a spray can. 2 or 3 good coats. This seals the wood and prevents the paint from soaking in.

Then paint it whatever color you want. Then apply 2 more coats of clearcoat and you will have a beautiful high gloss finish.

Another option that looks very nice would cover the beast in veneer then apply black stain. Then apply a couple of coats of high gloss varathane. This is the nicer option in my opinion.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Another easy option would be just get some laminate. They have lots of colors and sheens available. Just glue and trim.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
If you have any fiberglass repair shops in your area see if you can get one to jel-coat it for you.Ive worked with fiberglass for several years and jel-coat is pretty inexpensive,very durable,can be made in several colors,and can be polished to a mirror finish if you wonted to.
Another thing good about it is it is a sprayed on product so any shape of enclouser would be possable to do with no problems. Good luck:emoji_thumbsup:

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
As Rob said, gloss black Formica laminate is probably the easiest way to get your desired finish.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have had good luck in the past applying flat black paint (over a primer coat) with a few coats of clear Minwax polyurethane over the top of it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
P@,
"Looka eye, always looka eye!"
"Painta fence, UUUUPPPP, DOOWWNNNNN! UUUUPPPP, DOOWWNNNNN"
:)

GregE

Agent
I just finished my speaker stands last week. I copied the stands that Brian Steeves made. I used maple veneer for the side panels. For the other surfaces I sprayed the MDF with a cheap black spray ($.99/can) then used a Rustoleum Lacquer spray over that. Several coats (4) of both paint and lacquer. I sanded the second paint coat w/320. It worked out really well and not too difficult or expensive.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I've had excellent results with the following procedure:

Sand the surface smooth (220-ish)

Spray a couple of coats of lacquer primer/surfacer

Wait a few days (this is important)

Dry sand with 400g -but don't cut through the primer

Spray a couple of coats of automotive lacquer

Lightly sand with 1200g

Polish with automotive polishing compound

Finish with Meguiars #7 glaze

This process gives a dazzling mirror finish. The "secret" if there is one is the primer/surfacer. It's a high-solids, high-film-thickness material that sands beautifully. It's available at automotive paint stores. Make sure you let it dry completely because it shrinks as the solvents evaporate out. You want to sand after it's completely shrunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks