What's new

How do you get 6.1 DTSES DISCRETE out of a 7 channel receiver? Am I missing somethng? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon 3801, 3802, and 4802 all say that they have DTSES DISCRETE. This is a 6.1 channel audio format right? So if it is 6.1 channels, how does a 7 channel receiver produce this sound? Does the sound of the rear center come out of both the surround back speakers(this was all I could come up with)?

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Most receivers that support the DTS-ES Discrete format have a dedicated speaker output terminal for the rear center speaker (thus, you'll want to buy an additional center speaker for that channel if you plan on using that feature). Some receivers (like my Yamaha HTR-5280, for example), do DTS-ES Matrix decoding, which simulates the rear center channel by matrixing the channel data into your rear surround speakers.

Some DTS-ES Discrete receivers only have a preout for the rear center speaker, requiring you to run a small monoblock amp to power it. But even the 3801 in question already has an amplified output terminal for that speaker, so there's nothing to worry about.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Kyle,

The two rear centers are the same signal. 6.1 can be done with just one rear center but 2 seems to be the recommended method by THX/Dolby and DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks