How do you get 6.1 DTSES DISCRETE out of a 7 channel receiver? Am I missing somethng?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

The Denon 3801, 3802, and 4802 all say that they have DTSES DISCRETE. This is a 6.1 channel audio format right? So if it is 6.1 channels, how does a 7 channel receiver produce this sound? Does the sound of the rear center come out of both the surround back speakers(this was all I could come up with)?

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Most receivers that support the DTS-ES Discrete format have a dedicated speaker output terminal for the rear center speaker (thus, you'll want to buy an additional center speaker for that channel if you plan on using that feature). Some receivers (like my Yamaha HTR-5280, for example), do DTS-ES Matrix decoding, which simulates the rear center channel by matrixing the channel data into your rear surround speakers.

Some DTS-ES Discrete receivers only have a preout for the rear center speaker, requiring you to run a small monoblock amp to power it. But even the 3801 in question already has an amplified output terminal for that speaker, so there's nothing to worry about.

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Kyle,

The two rear centers are the same signal. 6.1 can be done with just one rear center but 2 seems to be the recommended method by THX/Dolby and DTS.