What's new

How do you fix Overscan? (1 Viewer)

On my tv, Panasonic 47" Widescreen HDTV Projection Monitor
Model: PT-47WX42, the picture is a little low. When CNN has like a ticker bar at the bottom it is 1/2 cut off. AVIA said that my tv was like 3% off. How do i fix this?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Use the height (VSIZ) and width (HSIZ) adjustments. All TV sets have screwdriver adjustments (pots) for this in the back under the rear cover, most sets with service menus have service menu adjustments for this, a few have regular on screen menus for this. If necessary, also use the positioning (VPOS, HPOS) adjustments.

As the set ages, the menu adjustments might not stretch far enough and then the screwdriver adjustments have to be used. Most set owners should leave the latter to a serviceman, since exposed contacts with hgih voltages will be reachable when the cabinet is opened.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would not try to reduce overscan below the 3% setting you are seeing now. That's probably as low as you can go w/out serious convergence/geometry problems. From what I can gather, most people keep their overscan at somewhere between 3 - 5% for this reason. Even the highly reputable ISF guys who frequent these forum sites don't seem to go lower than ~3%.

FWIW, I have the 53" version of that RPTV and leave it at ~5% overscan. Maybe one of these days I will venture to reduce it to ~3% (and tackle the likely resulting convergence/geometry problems)...

_Man_

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Are you watching CNN in a stretch mode. If so, switch between the stretch mode and 4:3. Is it the same on both? I think you will see the difference!

And I agree with _Man_. When Gregg Loewen came to calibrate my 58" Pioneer Elite, it had over 7% over-scan on it. He got that down to around 4% and told me that any less over-scan would indeed cause problems at the edge of the picture.

Hope this helps!!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
What issues does it present? Does it only affect TV viewing and not DVD? I often use the scaling on my Malata player to eliminate overscan and have had zero issues on the edges other than an occasional thin white line that I can get rid of readily by just decreasing the scaling a notch--the #$%*(&^ ISF Tech refused to reduce it and when I checked it's nearly 10%---Apocalypse Now at 2.0:1 registers as 16:9 with no black bars visible. I'm assuming though that if I go in and reduce the overscan myself the whole thing needs to be recalibrated--is that correct?

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
I have reduced overscan on my TV to 4% horizontal and 3% vertical, anything below that has caused problems with convergence and geometry. Convergence just seems to go way off below that level. And I am very happy with what I see.

I think you can achieve overscan below that only on direct view CRTs, LCD or DLP, LCOS projection TVs. Please dont take my word on it.
Guys correct me if I am wrong.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If you reduce overscan too much on the Panny, you might see some anomolies creep in like color reflections on the edges and such. If that happens, you need to back off on the overscan.

Reducing overscan typically throws out convergence and geometry. This will have to be fixed up.

Regards

Steven Hubbard

Auditioning
Michael.

I saw your reference to color reflections.

I wanted to write to say that my over-scan registers at 3 on the top and on the left of my panny 53 while registering 5 to the right and on the bottom. I can see the reflections you refer to on the top of the set. It appears to be triggered by certain colors and my appear as a bluish tint or a bright white highlight.

At one point I had red show up, but I when I corrected the geometry grid, it disappeared while limiting the remaining blue/white I described above.

I am awaiting the Service Manual before attempting to adjust the over-scan. In the meantime I take it that I will need to go back and do the convergence. Do you recommend the "fine" or will "coarse take care of everything?

Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks