How do you fix overscan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Chang, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

I have a Panasonic 47wx42 and my overscan on the bottom seems to keep creeping up. Do I just go to course convergence and try to center the box? Any tips? Thanks,

Chris

2. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

No, you don't fix overscan with convergence. It'd be a good way to get geometry problems.

I don't have the TV you do but on mine (Sony 51ws500) overscan is adjusted with VSIZ and HSIZ (Vertical Size and Horizontal Size). I'm sure there is something similar with the pannys. Go to www.panny.tv and do a little looking around, I'm sure they've got the details over there somewhere.

Before you fix your overscan you should make sure your picture is centered.

3. Bill Toth

Bill Toth Auditioning

Phil L,

I too, have a Sony 51 Ws500. How do you access the Vertical and horizontal controls to reduce overscan? I loose what appears to be a lot, particularly in HD. I assume its within the service codes via the remote?

Thanks!

4. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Bill,

Do you have the Service Manual? That is must have before doing any real tweaking. The 51ws500 is a very tweak-able set and there are many things you can easily do in the service menu to make your picture better, more accurate, and more consistant.

All the controls I'm about to write about are in the service menu. REMEMBER TO WRITE DOWN ALL OF YOUR ORIGINAL VALUES WHEN ADJUSTING THE SERVICE MENU. Seriously, this is important to do for piece of mind, knowing you can go back to where you were if you don't like something.

To adjust overscan you'll use the controls VSIZ and HSIZ. First you should use VPOS and HPOS to center your picture. These should be very small, single digit adjustments, if your set needs more than that, something's wrong. Note that setting overscan too low can adversely affect geometry. Expect to do a least a touch up on convergence after adjusting VSIZ and HSIZ.

Overscan is set differently for 480/960i/p and 1080. I haven't done very many adjustments for 1080 because it looks fine, I don't watch much HD, and I don't have access to 1080 test patterns.

5. Bill Toth

Bill Toth Auditioning

Phil

Thanks!